What is wrong with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
.........but full of people performing the dark arts of motoring....

A £6 cable coupled to a laptop and my Skoda gained 40BHP :whistle:

Ananda

A. Why exactly is it silly? Simply labelling the phenomenon as "silly" offers nothing by way of explanation.

Since you are a man of logic and like explanations, what is the explanation you were given (and found satisfying) for the 25km/hr motor assist limit?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps you could answer my question first, as you are the one expressing dissatisfaction?

Once you have done so, I would be happy to explain my rationale as to why people should obey the law and not turn pedelecs into mopeds.

Ananda

I am not disatisfied by the 25km/hr of motor assist limit. I could not care less personally. But most people who eliminate their limiters clearly do find it unsatisfactory.

Also, I did not ask you why should people obey the law. I know that. I asked you what explanation you were given by EU for choosing the 25km/hr value as the motor asssit speed limit.

Finally, not obeying the law is not 'immoral'. It is 'illegal'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm glad you don't find the limit unsatisfactory. You will forgive me, I took it wrongly from the tone of your original post that you did.

I've not been given any explanation for the ebike specs that the EU, and the UK, settled upon, and I haven't asked them. I have no curiosity about the matter.

Yes, it is illegal (or unlawful, depending on the situation and intent). I never suggested otherwise. It may also be fattening and cause blindness. Morals are a discussion for elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ananda

That is why I said in my original post the limit is 'silly'. Because it came out of nowhere, based on nothing, probably designed by bureaucrats who have never ridden a bicycle.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Moving on, I am member of pedelecs forum although like you now @Drago I don't tend to go on it as I now have a bike. I found that some of the Info was good, some wasn't. Some of the suppliers of ebikes were members and others could ask questions relating to their specific bike.

Some Members just liked the sound of their own voices, some liked to think they knew everything, some Just liked to complain about everything, and there seemed to be a huge number of adverts from ebike names trying to sell their product. I saw it as one big selling platform so stopped visiting.

I did however have great help from the supplier that I bought my bike from. The managing director helped me out by contacting one of the bike chains as the particular bike I wanted wasn't available anywhere, but he found one for me and arranged for them to contact me. Great service I would say.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two lads on our caravan site have the electric MX bikes - bit like the one Mr Cowell fell off. Even electric scooters are banned on site due to near misses. I'm going to pop in the office to complain. This one sounds as rough as hell, totally rattly drive chain, and the discs howl and rattle - not confidence inspiring for something that can do silly speeds.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't find it silly. For my age I'm above average fitness and a very experienced rider, and on a conventional bike I'm averaging only 17 or 18mph, sometimes less. I can do more, even into the 20s, but I have to work at it.

So, being electrically assisted up to close to the average speed of a very fit and highly experienced cyclist on a lightweight bike, while you're benefitting from enhanced hill climbing ability, relative sit-up-and-beg comfort, only sweating half as much, is a bad thing because...?

gbb

Legendary Member
That is why I said in my original post the limit is 'silly'. Because it came out of nowhere, based on nothing, probably designed by bureaucrats who have never ridden a bicycle.
One of my favourite replies in lots of circumstances with lots of people (my wife especially) when they state theres no logic in a particular statement, rule, whatever....is just because you cant see, or dont know the specific reason something is so, doesnt mean there is no logic...you just dont know what drove that decision. I'd imagine there is a rationale behind the 25kph, I'd dont know either but it seems if nothing else, a sensible speed people can relate to based on most people's ability to ride unassisted at around that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom