What is wrong with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Exactly. It's a bycicle not a motorbike. 25km per hours seems to be a decent Amount of assistance. If you want something that goes 30, 40, 50 km per hour then buy a motorbike or scooter. Going too fast on a bike could be a danger, to the bike user and other road users .

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Maybe because:
A. The 25km/hr speed limit is silly, since you easily go much faster than that on a normal bike (I routinely hit 60 in the area I usually cycle without even trying too hard....it is called gravity)

You may be surprised to learn that gravity also works on ebikes and because they are heavier they go faster downhill than an equivalent bike. An ebike won’t suddenly apply the brakes if you exceed 25 km/h downhill.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Exactly. It's a bycicle not a motorbike. 25km per hours seems to be a decent Amount of assistance. If you want something that goes 30, 40, 50 km per hour then buy a motorbike or scooter. Going too fast on a bike could be a danger, to the bike user and other road users .
Isn’t that the same for all bikes??? Or just E Bikes????

Dwn

I shudder to think of the damage to cycling's already unhappy reputation if loads of derestricted ebikes came on the market without some form of testing and licencing regime. It wouldn't be older cyclists or people with mobility issue that would be the problem. It would be the same young guys I see battering along the pavement with their cheap mountain bikes. Bad enough when they are doing under 20; carnage if they could do 30 or more without any real penalty in extra effort.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the logic is we all know a bike can travel well beyond 25kph, often in specific circumstances, well recognised by all. Downhill, for instance everyone knows and reasonably expects any bike to be travelling significantly faster....and people subconsciously make adjustments in the reactions accordingly, based on lifetime experience. It's a good rule of thumb most people will work to when viewing a (what looks like a standard) bike on the flat, it's going to be travelling at a speed we reasonably expect it to be travelling at, based on that lifetime experience. It's not a cover all situation but one most people will cope with easily. Start changing the very basics of that and perhaps you end up in trouble.
This is just theory of course and I may be wrong, but it seems quite sensible to me. As stated up post, if you want something faster, perhaps its be more appropriate to buy so ething more appropriate, a scooter, motorbike or similar ?

My own opinion on the 25kph / 15.5 mph limit ? I'm fine with it, if you up the speed limit, you simply reduce the distance achievable by the battery...and let's face it, you dont get great mileage anyway, especially as a battery ages a bit.l

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
No. Because like it of loath it, Mopeds and Motorcycles require Insurance, MOT's, Tax, Specific licencing, theory tests and PPE... Sure you can go fast down a hill on a push bike but how often is that and that is under the power of gravity and not a motor or engine. Average speeds of a cyclist despite that is still lower...

Which can of worms did you want to open?

jowwy

No. Because like it of loath it, Mopeds and Motorcycles require Insurance, MOT's, Tax, Specific licencing, theory tests and PPE... Sure you can go fast down a hill on a push bike but how often is that and that is under the power of gravity and not a motor or engine. Average speeds of a cyclist despite that is still lower...

Which can of worms did you want to open?
The quote was.....

going to fast on a bike is a danger, to the rider and other road users.....

all I asked was, isn’t that the same for all bikes, not just E bikes.......no can of worms, just asking why is it e bike specific

jowwy

Here’s the scenario.......

I am out riding my E bike with my mate, we are bowling along at 20mph......I have an assisted speed of 20mph ( pedelec ) my mate is riding unassisted at the same 20mph, why is one being classed by the poster above more dangerous than the other???

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

I am out riding my E bike with my mate, we are bowling along at 20mph......I have an assisted speed of 20mph ( pedelec ) my mate is riding unassisted at the same 20mph, why is one being classed by the poster above more dangerous than the other???
On an empty road, you're both no danger other than to yourselves.

On a shared cycle path, you're both a bloody dangerous menace!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Or maybe this is the scenario......

You are riding your unassisted road bike at 20 mph which is taking a great deal of effort and you are fully focused on the task, whereas your mate is bowling along effortlessly on his ebike, phone in one hand (having an intense conversation with that hot babe that he met at the pub last night) and holding a spliff in the other, almost unaware of what is going on around him!

:whistle::laugh:

jowwy

Or maybe this is the scenario......

You are riding your unassisted road bike at 20 mph which is taking a great deal of effort and you are fully focused on the task, whereas your mate is bowling along effortlessly on his ebike, phone in one hand (having an intense conversation with that hot babe that he met at the pub last night) and holding a spliff in the other, almost unaware of what is going on around him!

:whistle::laugh:
That scenario wouldnt happen....

1. Hes married
2. He doesnt smoke
3. Hes an ex semi pro bike racer.....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The quote was.....

going to fast on a bike is a danger, to the rider and other road users.....

all I asked was, isn’t that the same for all bikes, not just E bikes.......no can of worms, just asking why is it e bike specific

If you are going to quote me then do so. Read my post again as i said COULD be not is. DOH.

G3CWI

Veteran
I recently lost an ebike KOM on Strava. After looking at it I realised that I could easily get it back by cheating and using my non-ebike road bike. It’s a funny old world.

jowwy

If you are going to quote me then do so. Read my post again as i said COULD be not is. DOH.
I'll ask again.....

Why could it be a danger on an ebike.......whats the difference with riding the same speed on a normal bike???

Or do you agree that it could be a danger on both and therefore the ebike is no different, its just you get some assist in attaining said speed???

And heres the truth in the matter, there is no difference its just cause people dont like the thought of ebikers getting a bit of assist to attain the same speed as a regular rider who is sweating his/hers neenaa's off trying to reach and its just not fair.........boohooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom