What is wrong with some people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Last night around 9pm I was traveling back home from my parents, just as I was coming into the outskirts of Chester a cyclist comes flying around the roundabout by the business park and off into the direction of the city.
No problems with anyone cycling this time of night as long as its done in a safe and sensible matter, the problem was the chap or chapette (couldn't tell due to the dark) who was cycling only had a very dim front light on, no rear light at all and not even a reflector, the person in question was riding a dark coloured bike and was wearing all dark clothing.
It may be just me here but I'm a big fan of self preservation, if you can't be seen clearly you may possibly end up being involved in an accident which may of been avoidable!
The driver will more than likely get the blame as is nearly always the case especially on these forums.
I am a cyclist who owns 3 bikes and cycle regularly, I am also a driver who drives not for pleasure but out of necessity, lets try to look after ourselves and remember to pack a little common sense when setting off on our travels.
Rant over, cheers

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
True, drivers always seem to take the blame but cyclists are no angels either. Many of them play Russian roulette every time they go out due to their carelessness.:wacko:
Of course, this doesn't apply to members of this forum.:hello:

gavgav

Guru
The closest I ever came to knocking a cyclist over was in Kidderminster one dark evening when I came to a roundabout and looked to my right and all looked clear. I just started to pull away as a cyclist went past the front of my car with no lights on and dark clothes. I simply hadn't seen them. I may get laughed at for some of the bright colours I wear but I would rather that than being knocked off

yep - saw the same yesterday only it wasn't even in the dark, but in torrential rain & hailstones and I failed to see the 'person' on their bike until they were within 4-5m of me and I was cycling at the time. No lights, no hi-viz, no bright colours, in fact the mottled grey top they had on blended superbly with the background and on a black bike as well - mind you he looked less happy than I was and at least I had a helmet with visor and a waterproof top on - the visor helps when you have glasses...

snorri

Legendary Member
Cycling without lights sharpens your awareness of other road users, you know people won't see you, your safety is on your own shoulders, it keeps you on your toes, provides a bit of a thrill I suppose. Could be safer than cycling with lights on and believing everyone is seeing you.:whistle:

swampyseifer

Hell I was going down the A5 at night in a car the other week...and a truck pulled out a lay-by on me.

If he couldn't see a red car with headlights coming at him what chance would something a tenth of the size with one small light stand?!

Herbie

Veteran
Last night around 9pm I was traveling back home from my parents, just as I was coming into the outskirts of Chester a cyclist comes flying around the roundabout by the business park and off into the direction of the city.
No problems with anyone cycling this time of night as long as its done in a safe and sensible matter, the problem was the chap or chapette (couldn't tell due to the dark) who was cycling only had a very dim front light on, no rear light at all and not even a reflector, the person in question was riding a dark coloured bike and was wearing all dark clothing.
It may be just me here but I'm a big fan of self preservation, if you can't be seen clearly you may possibly end up being involved in an accident which may of been avoidable!
The driver will more than likely get the blame as is nearly always the case especially on these forums.
I am a cyclist who owns 3 bikes and cycle regularly, I am also a driver who drives not for pleasure but out of necessity, lets try to look after ourselves and remember to pack a little common sense when setting off on our travels.
Rant over, cheers

Totally in agreement with you....its probably my biggest pet hate with my fellow bike users...the no lights on their machines and usually wearing dark clothes etc....some folks have death wishes

Herbie

Veteran
Cycling without lights sharpens your awareness of other road users, you know people won't see you, your safety is on your own shoulders, it keeps you on your toes, provides a bit of a thrill I suppose. Could be safer than cycling with lights on and believing everyone is seeing you.:whistle:

I find cycling a very enjoyable pastime but I can do without that "bit of a thrill" that's just nuts

U

User169

2770377 said:
We really need a quarantine sub-board for these. A sticky at the top would be useful as well.

It wouldn't have the catchiest title: "Tell us about the cyclist that you, er, apparently managed to see".

vickster

Legendary Member
I had one a while back riding along the main A road frm Windsor to London, dark clothing, no lights, 60 mph limit...I was very lucky to see the whites of his eyes as I joined the carriageway!!!! :wacko:

Sorry, but what a f****** muppet! :banghead:

Top Bottom