What is wrong with some people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShipHill

2770713 said:
The fact that there are no such messages must surely prove that they are all seen.
Sorry Adrian I don't think I explained my point very well.

What I meant was how many people on CC (or any other forum) don't see an unlit cyclist at night... because they're unlit and it's pitch black in a road with poor or even no street lights like a lane or whatever... and then log on here and write a post like "Drove/walked/cycled home just and didn't see any unlit cyclists." It won't happen because they wouldn't have seen them, and wouldn't even know they not seen them.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I didn't see an unlit cyclist last night :reading:

ShipHill

How do you know there were any ?
Aha! That's kind of my point though really. How would any road user know there was or wasn't? Some get spotted at the last second and some get noticed very early. I saw a kid on a bike the other week when he was about 50 yards away turning off into a side street about 8pm. No lights on but I saw him. Lots of streetlights on that road and there was the glare from a nearby late night shop too and I'm "bike aware" if you know what I mean.

Then there are those that no-one sees so no-one writes a post about them on CC or wherever. I'm making an assumption here that there may be an unknown number of cyclists that do not get spotted at all for whatever reason, but I would imagine there are some.

mustang1

Guru
Agrees.

The other day o was cycling at night with street lights and saw a cyclist in front. Another cyclist with no lights I thought. As I got closer I saw he did have a light but the damn thing was so feint may as well have not had it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
That is true. It's an interesting discussion. Are the "totally unseen ones" just very skilled at night time riding? It could be.

Or perhaps people are not invisible, just harder to make out and therefore we are able to identify the overwhelming majority of cyclists and pedestrians we see on the roads?

gavgav

Guru
Cycling without lights sharpens your awareness of other road users, you know people won't see you, your safety is on your own shoulders, it keeps you on your toes, provides a bit of a thrill I suppose. Could be safer than cycling with lights on and believing everyone is seeing you.:whistle:
No!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The only way to make oneself completely safe when riding at night, wearing black with no lights on is to have several beers before setting out. I have a suspicion that hi vis makes one an easier target.

Top Bottom