What is wrong with some people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
...as thick as a short plank.

lit

I'm sure it looks like a woman, not that it makes much difference, a moron is a moron.

buddha

Veteran
I had almost the same thing happen today (well on Thursday). A fast, wide and empty road - I was a metre from the curb. Why?

Must be a south London thing, and it was a silver hatchback too!

I need to get a camera:smile:

BentMikey said:
There are times when you really don't want to be in front of a twonk driver.

Definitely.

You'd like my horn (ooer) on my vid Gaz...I think it confused the muppet driver.:smile:

mcshroom said:
I'd have been incredibly tempted to ride in primary right in front of him at 10mph for a while :rofl:

I did that...then the driver insisted in swerving into me as he passed.

NigC

I'm not defending this driver, who clearly needs an education. But I think a lot of problems stem from the general attitude to travelling these days.

I definitely noticed my attitude has changed since I started cycling and walking.

In the car, you've got the power to go at whatever speed you like (within the boundaries of speed limit restrictions of course). So when you find yourself caught up in traffic congestion, it really does get annoying. Even if you're not in a hurry, a slight delay can be very frustrating for a lot of drivers (aka Road Rage). The drive becomes a personal race and anyone slowing them down is a target for their frustration.

Unfortunately, a hell of a lot of drivers really haven't heard of the "door zone" and consider a cyclist as a moving obstacle that they must get past ASAP. So if you're cycling and avoiding the door zone, you are the "idiot" for getting in their way. And you'll probably find that the worst (as in this video), really don't want to hear about some ridiculous "door zone" crap and would rather you just get out of their damned way so they can carry on with their personal race.

Like I said, I'm sure my attitude has changed since switching to non motorised transport. I'd like to think I was a little more sympathetic to cyclists though! But frustration when caught in traffic/stuck behind a tractor etc. etc. is a real problem. Now, I'm a much calmer person while walking/cycling - I still make it a personal race (who doesn't?), but any little hold-ups really don't bother me now - not that hold-ups are much of a problem anyway. And I'm certain it's helped my driving attitude too - delays can be frustrating, but I'm less aggitated than I used to be :rofl:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
with a cam on my head (as you had) I would have unclipped, layed the bike in front of the car, then gone to their window for a chat.

I'd had kept it polite and "tried" to let them understand that there is a good reason for taking the position that you had and that you did so on the approach to a red light...with no progress to be lost by vehicles behind.

if that failed and they had carried on with the horn treatment, I'm afriad i would have lost my temper.

Just watching that made me want to punch something.

This is always the "risk" with taking a safe position, other road sharers dont understand what, or why, you are doing what youre doing and think you are simply a "jumped up" cyclist trying to hold everything up.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Twit driver, I had the horn treatment the other morning, downhill 30ish mph in a 30 zone and driver behind honking as he could not get past a few pinch points on this road so was in primary all the way down, **** em i say.

jonny jeez said:
with a cam on my head (as you had) I would have unclipped, layed the bike in front of the car, then gone to their window for a chat.

I'd had kept it polite and "tried" to let them understand that there is a good reason for taking the position that you had and that you did so on the approach to a red light...with no progress to be lost by vehicles behind.

if that failed and they had carried on with the horn treatment, I'm afriad i would have lost my temper.

Just watching that made me want to punch something.

This is always the "risk" with taking a safe position, other road sharers dont understand what, or why, you are doing what youre doing and think you are simply a "jumped up" cyclist trying to hold everything up.

+1, except I wouldn't loose my temper.

If the driver was overweight (and they often are) I'd have used the line:

'Tell you what, lets swap....I'll drive your car which will make the roads safer, you can ride my bike and loose a few pounds....everyone's a winner!' :bravo:

martynjc1977

Veteran
magnatom said:
If the driver was overweight (and they often are) I'd have used the line:

'Tell you what, lets swap....I'll drive your car which will make the roads safer, you can ride my bike and loose a few pounds....everyone's a winner!' :bravo:

Will use that one when i spot an ignorant fatty lol

No point talking to the horn-happy. They are brain dead so use the horn as a car equivelant of sticking their fingers in their ears and shouting "la la la"

Earlier in the week a car tried to shoot directly onto the RAB despite my coming through from the right. I was already on the RAB albeit coming through a gap left for me by a more courteous and observant driver in a queue across the RAB, so proceeding with caution.

Car in right hand lane of the entrance duly stopped, car on inside thought that lines of cars queueing mean she has a clear run across without slowing or looking, until I eyeballed her, even then as she did slow I had to move out to my right to stop my front wheel being nudged.

As I set off again she shakes her head in despair/disgust, In a moment I am past the RAB and there is nothing behind me, I stop and shout back to not shake her head but to SLOW down and to LOOK, and GIVE WAY to the right

I got as far as "Don't you shake your head..." before she had stopped (nothing in front of her, now she's just holding things up for people behind) and put her hand on the horn. As I continued she just sat there beeping her horn in an "I'm not listening" way. Then someone behind her joined in the horn medley to ask her to get going.

No point discussing it really, I shouldn't have even bothered. NOTHING can change the fact that - in her head - she was driving along her road when some idiot in a bicycle wobbled straight across her path and if she wasn't such a fantastically brilliant, alert and safe driver, there could have been a nasty accident. And to cap it all, the dangerous cyclist had the audacity to shout at her after she has just saved his life.

Top Bottom