What is your biggest regret in life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Mine is the fact that both my children don't speak fluent French. Their mother , an English girl from Liverpool, and I of course, are both fluent in French but always spoke English at home. My current wife does speak a bit of it too but not fluently. When we moved to Wales from Sussex, they both learned Welsh in school and speak it fluently. I really feel ashamed for that, not the fact that they speak Welsh of course.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not staying in the Army.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mine is the fact that both my children don't speak fluent French. Their mother , an English girl from Liverpool, and I of course, are both fluent in French but always spoke English at home. My current wife does speak a bit of it too but not fluently. When we moved to Wales from Sussex, they both learned Welsh in school and speak it fluently. I really feel ashamed for that, not the fact that they speak Welsh of course.

I can't quite work out the dynamics of that gavroche. As a language teacher is this frustration, is it the limits of what influence parents have on their children or is it pessimism about them learning it as adults?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I can't quite work out the dynamics of that gavroche. As a language teacher is this frustration, is it the limits of what influence parents have on their children or is it pessimism about them learning it as adults?
I wasn't a language teacher when they were little, now they are 44 and 41 , with their own families. Yes, it is frustrating as all we had to do was to speak French to them on a daily basis and they would have grown up speaking both languages.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have 2. The first one is not saying NO more often and the second one is not telling people to FCUK off more than I did.(in fact I never said it to anyone) but I wish I had......a lot.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mine is clear but double edged. (Comments welcome).
I was brought up in a very (emphasis on very) religious family.
Like many others (devout Muslims etc) I grew up believing it.
Eventually I managed to think for myself and leave it.
So.....I regret those wasted years but on the plus side
Through that religion met my wife and have had a very good 51 years with her.

Top Bottom