What is your pre ride eating routine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Raw oats, Greek yoghurt, fruit and honey. If it is really early (before 05:00) and I can’t stomach much, I have a tin of rice pudding. Coffee or a mug of tea. Banana if there’s space. My rides are 10-12 hours usually. Lots of snacks on the bike and proper meals at proper meal time. I try not to break my routine.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
For longer rides I usually start on an empty stomach, specially if it's an early one. Eat a Nakd bar around 20 - 25 miles then stop for a proper breakfast around 50 miles.

Shorter rides are more likely to happen later so I'll have eaten something but not specifically fuel for a ride. Also, if I've drunk alcohol the previous day I always have something to eat before I set off no matter what the time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello

Just curious to know what you guys like to do and eat before your weekend ride.

Do you eat at all or do you prefer to start on an empty stomach and maybe stop halfway for a bacon roll or a cake?

And if you do eat before your ride, what do you normally like to fuel up with and how long before your ride?

What's your favourite treat and what gives you the most energy?

Breakfast is always the same routine. Two cups of coffee, one litre of water, porridge (60gm of oats) with either honey or dried fruit and a spoonful of creme fraiche. About 30 minutes before leaving.

On the bike one bottle of water, one of electrolyte. Drunk during first 40/50 miles.

In the cafe. Americano, beans on toast with poached eggs. Water to drink. Refill water bottles.

This gets me through 100 miles at which point I'd need another cafe stop.

gbb

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter if I'm going out to do 5 miles or 50.
I eat what I normally eat when I would normally eat it.
I've enough reserves of body fat not to need to eat extra ........... ^_^
In a way, me too...although I m relatively skinny. When I did 50 milers I'd invariably stop at a cafe and stoke up. Equally some rides I wouldn't.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Read my account on "Your ride" about how I bonked last weekend after only a bowl of Bran Flakes at 05.30. I'm normally more careful to eat properly before a ride. 32 years of cycling have taught me the need for that.

When we used to ride Polaris Mountain Marathons the most awkward meal was always breakfast on the Sunday morning. There isn't really anything high energy like scrambled eggs on toast that you can carry and cook in a tent.

On a longish ride, meaning 5-10 hours: an avocado, a banana, about 50-100g of nuts and several spoonfuls of hummus. During the ride, just a nut/seed bar which I make myself with the minimum amount of black treacle to hold it together.

Top Bottom