What is your pre ride eating routine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Hello

Just curious to know what you guys like to do and eat before your weekend ride.

Do you eat at all or do you prefer to start on an empty stomach and maybe stop halfway for a bacon roll or a cake?

And if you do eat before your ride, what do you normally like to fuel up with and how long before your ride?

What's your favourite treat and what gives you the most energy?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Before a long ride it's usually toast or cereal and a mug of tea.
Not one for munching on the go. At a halfway stop it's what ever takes my fancy. Fry up, baked potato with whatever, scrambled Egg on toast, or burger. Washed down with a cake of some description, tea and/or a beer. Last weekends 100+ mile ride also included a beer stop after lunch. :cheers:

If I'm out early and not doing more than 30 miles, then just a coffee until I get back. If I leave later then I'll have breakfast, an oaty, yoghurty type one. I normally carry one of these cocoa Nakd bars as an emergency or as in journey snack before lunch on a longer ride. I've not done any longer rides this year so I think the same nakd bar has been travelling with me for about 800 miles.

Sharky

Guru
Nothing special, just normal breakfast cereal etc. But I rarely do long rides anymore. Usually drink a glass of water before I head out, then rarely drink or eat much on rides up to 2 hrs.

On race nights club 10's, dont like a heavy meal beforehand. Just a banana or piece of fruit cake. Thrn will eat afterwards.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Oats are good and will keep you feeling fuller for longer, add bananas or raisens, no sugar. Plus poached eggs on toast.
Take plenty of water with you as you can get quite dehydrated even when cool. Some like to add ORS.

Drago

Legendary Member
In all seriousness...

Complex carbohydrates.

I’ll usually have a banana before setting off. Then it depends on the ride, as to how I feed on the ride. It could be something simple, like cake and a coffee, somewhere on the route, or a full on steak and eggs, with all the extras, and a pint. It’s dependent on mileage and intensity, and conditions.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Before ride depending on season porridge or muesli and coffee. En route sandwiches, pies, malt loaf, Eccles cakes, whatever I happen to have.

Favourite treat. Pork pie.

lane

Veteran
Muesli and or toast plus coffee. Take some cereal bars a well. Time is often short so my priority is speed of breakfast more than anything else.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hello

Just curious to know what you guys like to do and eat before your weekend ride.

Do you eat at all or do you prefer to start on an empty stomach and maybe stop halfway for a bacon roll or a cake?

And if you do eat before your ride, what do you normally like to fuel up with and how long before your ride?

What's your favourite treat and what gives you the most energy?
How far are you going? What’s your normal breakfast?

Top Bottom