What kind of bike excites you most?

Which type of bike makes you drool the most

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I love seeing high performance fast bikes ridden by super-fit athletes, but it isn't those bikes that make me drool.

When I see a good tourer or fast road bike (audax type) it makes me think of the enjoyment I got years ago from touring and from TTs. Handbuilt and made of steel to really make me stop and look.

Trouble is it's 31 years since my last TT and 20 since I last went proper touring (and that was hostelling). Now it's days, not even an overnight stop.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't aspire to super dooper expensive bikes, but theres been a couple of bikes that made me think 'now thats nice'
One was a Bianchi time trial bike someone had got in my LBS...feck, it looked awesome...like a bullet.
The other was an old, but well kept black Raleigh converted to a single speed. So simplistic, no transfers, just a 531 badge and green bartape..it made me want it !!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I went for the full on racer, but as I have a 531 tourer, a steel Audax and a brompton as well as a racing bike I just love bikes.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I should've have said it's a multi-option poll. Thoroughbred racer seems the runaway winner at the moment.

redjedi

Über Member
I've gone for all except the MTB bike option (not really my cuppa).

All depends on my mood. At the moment I'm looking at fixed bikes, but a nice tourer would be good and I'd like to have a recumbent don't don't have the money/space for one.

I'd like a nicer fast bike one day, but at the moment I'm happy with my Bianchi, but it never hurts to look :ohmy:

Edit: Just remembered that I would also like a titanium bike as well.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have an old mtb that I bought for £30 and use as my commuter/tourer... it's fine, had a few bits and bobs put on, a new wheel, cable changes etc, but should keep going for years. I've used it for long rides and mini tours also. However, I hanker after a decent and lighter tourer.
I also have a reasonably decent road bike, which I bought mail order when I started getting back into cycling, because it sort of looked the right shape and was affordable. Again, it's great, no probs, done a bit of work on it etc. But I would love to have a super duper roadie to use as a 'summer' bike.
I also have an ancient mtb that I nick bits off now and again, and it will probably never be ridden again :ohmy:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I have a perverse attraction to the very stylish but totally impractical Schwinn cruisers - you know the sort, weigh 20kg, hub brakes/gears, Big Apple tyres.
For doing nothing other than posing with, as you couldn't possibly commute on it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
CharlieB said:
I have a perverse attraction to the very stylish but totally impractical Schwinn cruisers - you know the sort, weigh 20kg, hub brakes/gears, Big Apple tyres.
For doing nothing other than posing with, as you couldn't possibly commute on it.

Like this? :ohmy:
150379702446068a977fc79.jpg

Thinking about this a bit more, my favourite bikes of all are the ones I've had a significant hand in building up myself, especially if I've found the bits in a skip. I can't get interested in off the peg bikes, and if someone says "Specialized Roubaix" to me, that rings no bells whatever. But give me an old steel frame and some wheels and let me root around in my bits box for a few days and there's a bike I can be interested in.:biggrin:

And I've learnt over the years that bikes have to have lights and a rack, otherwise they're no good to me. Every thime I remove a rack from one of my bikes to make it lighter, it stays in teh house gathering dust while I use the tourer to get to work.

tyred

Legendary Member
I said practical all rounder as I have a soft spot for old three speeds and bikes don't come much more practical. Generally speaking, I like most steel framed bikes, especially anything with proper lugs, hate the carbon and alloy frames.

rh100

I first bought a heavy MTB in ignorance - then an alluminium hybrid for practicality. But what is getting me going at the moment is touring bikes - I see them and I see the web sites/blogs and even the tv prog's like Mark Beaumonts trip and my heart yearns for a trip on the road.

The carbon stuff is nice I suppose - but nice in the same way as a Ferrari - totally useless to me but looks good.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well none of the options are to the extent of prising open my purse... I can't justify a new bike at the moment really, I have my normal bike and my spare.

However I love looking at bikes ... and what I'm itching to have a go on is a recumbent trike (rather than bike I think) - just to see what it is like. I would also love to have a nice steel framed tourer.... and for lazy days completely impractical a sort of laid back bike - the sort that would probably be hopeless on the hills around here.

Top Bottom