What kind of bike is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyresch

So I've had this in my backyard for awhile and I decided instead of buying a new bike I was going to fix up the one back there. I start to remove everything from the frame and decide to take a break. Now I'm on my phone for 20+ minutes trying to figure out what year this is, can anyone help? 15601072203913633697903508565427.jpg
15601072699705963293936121965526.jpg
15601072966614215739664043308703.jpg
15601072203913633697903508565427.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's a rebranded Raleigh, not brilliant but not bad either.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
It’s an old rigid mountain bike frame. With the dropped top tube I guess it female specific probably made around 1998.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It's a rebranded Raleigh.

Is it?? I didn't know there was any connection between Raleigh and Diamondback!. If so, that would surely date the frame to after 1999 then, when they stopped building them in Nottingham.
As far as the general design goes, hi-tensile 26" rigids are all much of a muchness apart from minor geometry variations. Useful utility bikes though, good solid construction, even the low-budget market models.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It's a pretty decent bike for that time. Diamondbacks are now sold in sporting goods stores, but then, it was bike shop quality. I had some early ones, they were on a par with Giant.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Is it?? I didn't know there was any connection between Raleigh and Diamondback!. If so, that would surely date the frame to after 1999 then, when they stopped building them in Nottingham.
As far as the general design goes, hi-tensile 26" rigids are all much of a muchness apart from minor geometry variations. Useful utility bikes though, good solid construction, even the low-budget market models.
It's a pretty decent bike for that time. Diamondbacks are now sold in sporting goods stores, but then, it was bike shop quality. I had some early ones, they were on a par with Giant.

That's why Raleigh bought em

raleighnut

Legendary Member
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiyq4KNzOTiAhXR5-AKHbpcDscQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamondback_Bicycles&usg=AOvVaw0hsU5THA4LuimYjzB4kCos

Like I say not bad bikes.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
But Accell lost the Dick's Sporting Goods account last year.
Dick Stack sells a few bikes over here.
Now looks like Dorel stuff(Pacific, Schwinn, Mongoose, Etc.), and Nishiki.
That's sad, Dick's always had better bikes than grocery/big box stores.
This is why I like the oldies.

Top Bottom