What kind of fettler are you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking at my bike now and feeling almost disappointed that there's nothing on it which could remotely require further cleaning, checking or any other fettling beyond what I did this morning :blush:

gbb

Legendary Member
I used to go mental, even stripping calipers down as far as they'd go, clean, lube pivots etc, mainly because I used to winter commute...nowadays my best carbon stays dirty, I only really clean and lube the chain. Shameful really, I might get the stand out and give the Ribble and the aTrek hybrid a good seeing to...maybe.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Oh Lordy some of you must spend more time cleaning it than riding it.

The chain gets a clean on the road bike and tourer and if it gets dirty it gets a wash off but the hybrid only gets a flick over once in a while.

Horrific isn't it, i can feel some of you shaking from here.

However if any of you lot get bored i will happily give you the shed key:laugh:

contadino

Veteran
I live in fear of my bike being unusable for longer than a day or two, so dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding has to be planned meticulously.

My cleaning routine has gone from zero to lots over the last few months however.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So furniture polish keeps matt black looking nice eh?

Guess what I'll be doing tonight.....

Mr Sheen and a lint free cloth !!!

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I find it hard to remember to clean the chain each week...

Chains need cleaning? Who knew.

Bikes (at least the good ones) live in the house with me and someone who is a bit more finicky about cleanliness than me, so unfortunately I have to clean them more than I'd like, which is basically never. Having said that, a dirty bike doesn't appeal, at least aesthetically. Ideally I'd snap my fingers and someone would appear (perhaps from servant's quarters in the shed, if I do it up a bit) to take care of it for me.

Other sorts of fettling are enjoyable enough once I've run out of excuses to avoid them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
So I found a can of furniture polish in the cupboard and now the bike looks smashing and water beads up and runs off even better but.... Mrs Gti nearly broke her neck when her feet skidded out from under her in the utility room where I did the spraying.

It's good on black anodised parts, makes them a deeper black with a sexy sheen and I'm sure the bike goes faster too.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

There are other types !!??!!:eek:
PS as for the OP - just buy an oldy to do up. You'll feel better in the end [and you get TWO bikes to ride.
Hahaha, Sidevalve!

My original 1972 Raleigh Chopper is in serious need of some TLC, so I guess you're right. I did work a load of penetrating oil around the seat post about seven years ago, so maybe I'll dig it out of the shed and see if it has loosened up yet! As for getting two bikes to ride, I'm not entirely sure the Chopper will extend to accommodate my 6'-1" height, but I suppose it will keep me out of mischief.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Oh Lordy some of you must spend more time cleaning it than riding it.

The chain gets a clean on the road bike and tourer and if it gets dirty it gets a wash off but the hybrid only gets a flick over once in a while.

Horrific isn't it, i can feel some of you shaking from here.

However if any of you lot get bored i will happily give you the shed key:laugh:
What time should I turn up?

Top Bottom