what language do you bikers speak!!!

JDoughnut

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to biking in general, and i've been reading through all your questions..and i have to say..i have NO idea what some of the biking terms are..

cleats
qfactor
hybrid
seatpost
;):biggrin:

what else is there?!!!

dodgy

Legendary Member
cleats - attach to the underside of your shoe to in turn attach to specific pedals
qfactor - the distance your pedals are away from each other by virtue of the profile of the cranks fitted to your bike
hybrid - neither fish nor fowl ;) It's a crossover between a mountain bike and a road (racing) bike
seatpost - the post that attaches your saddle to the frame

Welcome :biggrin:

Moodyman

Guru
Primary position - something you and your partner do in the privacy of your bedroom.
Stem - the part of the plant that flowers grow on top of.
Wheels - shorthand for Wagon Wheels - the chocolate you eat when on long bike rides.
Fork - in case you stop at a roadside cafe and don't want to use theirs.
Century - when you decide to stop at a cricket ground and witness a batsmen striking 100 runs.
Inner tube - the arteries that carry air from you nostrils to your lungs.

Have I missed any?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Moodyman said:
Primary position - something you and your partner do in the privacy of your bedroom.
Stem - the part of the plant that flowers grow on top of.
Wheels - shorthand for Wagon Wheels - the chocolate you eat when on long bike rides.
Fork - in case you stop at a roadside cafe and don't want to use theirs.
Century - when you decide to stop at a cricket ground and witness a batsmen striking 100 runs.
Inner tube - the arteries that carry air from you nostrils to your lungs.

Have I missed any?
Valve - The device controlling the outpouring of bulls**t from some forum members?:smile:

OP
J

JDoughnut

Haha..thanks for the replies guys - especially liking moodman's take..on that..hmm how about

aero-bar -protein source for biker boys
freewheel - only available if you dont lock up your bike properly!

:smile::boxing:

Riverman said:
+1

just jim

cleats - a type of flapjack popular with cyclists.
qfactor - short for "queue factor" - the time you have to spend waiting for a free portaloo at a cycling event
hybrid - a jack of all, master of all bicycle - though due to the N+1 theory nobody will ever admit it.
seatpost - an obsolete postal method

colly

Re member eR
Knackered .........it's an obscure technical term cyclists for being .......................er? knackered.

mcfchris

JDoughnut said:
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to biking in general, and i've been reading through all your questions..and i have to say..i have NO idea what some of the biking terms are..

cleats
qfactor
hybrid
seatpost
:becool::smile:

what else is there?!!!
For cleats also add the things that will most scare you as a new biker as you will fall off the 1st time you use them in a blind panic... stick with them though they are ace:biggrin:

Top Bottom