what language do you bikers speak!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDoughnut

Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to biking in general, and i've been reading through all your questions..and i have to say..i have NO idea what some of the biking terms are..

cleats
qfactor
hybrid
seatpost
;):biggrin:

what else is there?!!!

dodgy

cleats - attach to the underside of your shoe to in turn attach to specific pedals
qfactor - the distance your pedals are away from each other by virtue of the profile of the cranks fitted to your bike
hybrid - neither fish nor fowl ;) It's a crossover between a mountain bike and a road (racing) bike
seatpost - the post that attaches your saddle to the frame

Welcome :biggrin:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Primary position - something you and your partner do in the privacy of your bedroom.
Stem - the part of the plant that flowers grow on top of.
Wheels - shorthand for Wagon Wheels - the chocolate you eat when on long bike rides.
Fork - in case you stop at a roadside cafe and don't want to use theirs.
Century - when you decide to stop at a cricket ground and witness a batsmen striking 100 runs.
Inner tube - the arteries that carry air from you nostrils to your lungs.

Have I missed any?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Moodyman said:
Primary position - something you and your partner do in the privacy of your bedroom.
Stem - the part of the plant that flowers grow on top of.
Wheels - shorthand for Wagon Wheels - the chocolate you eat when on long bike rides.
Fork - in case you stop at a roadside cafe and don't want to use theirs.
Century - when you decide to stop at a cricket ground and witness a batsmen striking 100 runs.
Inner tube - the arteries that carry air from you nostrils to your lungs.

Have I missed any?
Valve - The device controlling the outpouring of bulls**t from some forum members?:smile:

OP
OP
J

JDoughnut

Haha..thanks for the replies guys - especially liking moodman's take..on that..hmm how about

aero-bar -protein source for biker boys
freewheel - only available if you dont lock up your bike properly!

:smile::boxing:

Riverman said:
+1

just jim

cleats - a type of flapjack popular with cyclists.
qfactor - short for "queue factor" - the time you have to spend waiting for a free portaloo at a cycling event
hybrid - a jack of all, master of all bicycle - though due to the N+1 theory nobody will ever admit it.
seatpost - an obsolete postal method

colly

Re member eR
Knackered .........it's an obscure technical term cyclists for being .......................er? knackered.

mcfchris

JDoughnut said:
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to biking in general, and i've been reading through all your questions..and i have to say..i have NO idea what some of the biking terms are..

cleats
qfactor
hybrid
seatpost
:becool::smile:

what else is there?!!!

For cleats also add the things that will most scare you as a new biker as you will fall off the 1st time you use them in a blind panic... stick with them though they are ace:biggrin:

Top Bottom