What law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

The word pop is a descriptive and refers to popular. So we have pop music, pop economics. My experience is that it generally involves urban myths, or ignorance spread by the barrack room lawyer. Foreinstance, if I see a Mars bar for sale in my local shop at 25p, the shop keeper is obliged to sell it to me for 25p. Well while that may not be true, it is a common assumption. Not my fault btw, and I don't like Mars bars.

Edit: My apologies to barrack room lawyers; it is also an offence commited by the chattering masses

Dan B

Disengaged member
The book Cyclecraft speaks highly of pedal reflectors. "Pedal reflectors are one of the most effective safety aids for cyclists at night"
I'm sure most on here will agree that the police are unlikely to stop you for not having pedal reflectors, however if you are involved in an accident, the other party may claim that they did not see you because you had no pedal reflectors.
It scarcely matters when they can get off by claiming that it was a busy road and there were lots of red lights

The word pop is a descriptive and refers to popular. So we have pop music, pop economics. My experience is that it generally involves urban myths, or ignorance spread by the barrack room lawyer. Foreinstance, if I see a Mars bar for sale in my local shop at 25p, the shop keeper is obliged to sell it to me for 25p. Well while that may not be true, it is a common assumption. Not my fault btw, and I don't like Mars bars.

Edit: My apologies to barrack room lawyers; it is also an offence commited by the chattering masses

Absolutely.
They are not obliged to sell you anything. It is an offer to buy under the law. Just good customer relations to sell at that price unless its not financially viable.

:okay:

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

I may well be wrong but isn't the sale of a good (chattel) a contract... offer, acceptance and consideration, etc?

Does a shop have to honour the price advertised on a label

No, if the displayed price is a mistake. The price tag is not a contract. It is an "invitation to treat" ie it is inviting the customer to make an offer to purchase and the retailer doesn't have to accept that offer. A contract is only formed when the shop accepts a payment, after which it can't oblige you to repay any difference between the real and the advertised price. It's more complicated if it's an online transaction.

Deliberately misleading or inaccurate information is punishable under law. If a merchant refuses to honour an agreed price – say a builder's bill is unexpectedly and significantly higher than the quote you accepted – you can settle the bill, but note in writing in a letter and on the cheque or credit card slip that you are paying under protest. You can then seek to recover the balance via the Small Claims Court.

98/6/EC
SUMMARY
The selling price and the unit price must be indicated in an unambiguous, easily identifiable and clearly legible manner for all products offered by traders to consumers ("unambiguous" meaning the final price including VAT and all other taxes).

The unit price need not be indicated if it is identical to the selling price.

However, Member States may decide not to apply this rule:

• to products supplied in the course of the provision of a service;
  • to sales by auction and sales of works of art and antiques.
This one covers how its displayed.
Still allows for pricing mistakes. A seller can not be forced to sell anything if they dont want to.

2005/29/EC

Misleading practices

A practice is misleading if it contains false or untrue information or is likely to deceive the consumer, even though the information given may be correct. In particular, this information relates to:

• the existence or nature of the product;
  • the main characteristics of the product (such as such as its availability, benefits, composition, date of manufacture, geographical origin, the results to be expected from its use, etc.);
  • the price, the trader’s commitments and the nature of the sales process;
  • the need for a service or repair;
  • the trader (their identity, qualifications, code of conduct, etc.);
  • the consumers’ rights on aspects of the sale of consumer goods.
Things such as bait and switch are included in this.

Top Bottom