What lesson(s) did you learn too late in life ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Low cost endowment

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I retired at 48 and lovely Wife at 41 in 2004 - we spent a year doing some things that we had been meaning to do for a while and after that we both became bored.

So I started a small part-time lifestyle business and Lovely Wife took a part-time job as a PA which was going back to the roots of her career.

We have been much happier since with a nice balance of leisure time and work time - the latter not really feeling like work as we know we can switch it off at a moments notice if we want to.

I think we missed some of the sense of purpose that a job brings as well as the wider social contact.

Would agree with the social contact, part. It was the only part of work I missed on retirement, and that from a "non-people person" IT. worker ;)

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I retired at 48 and lovely Wife at 41 in 2004 - we spent a year doing some things that we had been meaning to do for a while and after that we both became bored.

So I started a small part-time lifestyle business and Lovely Wife took a part-time job as a PA which was going back to the roots of her career.

We have been much happier since with a nice balance of leisure time and work time - the latter not really feeling like work as we know we can switch it off at a moments notice if we want to.

I think we missed some of the sense of purpose that a job brings as well as the wider social contact.
For years I've longed to retire - but now I feasibly could the thought terrifies me.
Been working for almost 40 years - the system has ground me into a machine - now I have the option to stop I just can't. Sad but true.

I wish I had appreciated my family more, as I lost 2/3 of my immediate family last year:sad:

I wish I knew that all friends weren`t genuine, and in fact were utter sharks

If I had my time again, I would never have bothered learning to drive. You live and learn.....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Even if you came from humble beginnings, if you're good enough you deserve to be there

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Low cost endowment
Ha - I got caught by that one too!

I had a crappy endowment mortgage for £24.5 k. The performance of the investments became so bad that it was looking like I would get about £12k at maturity rather than the £24.5k needed + a £15-20k bonus promised.

I ended up getting compensation for being mis-sold the mortgage and cashed the endowment in. I switched to an interest only mortgage and upped it to £60k. The interest payments on that turned out to be less than those on the endowment mortgage! :wacko:

Kryton521

Über Member
Recently diagnosed, [found out?] I'm slightly autistic, which explains why I felt disconnected at school, so wasn't lazy!

Except myself for who I am. Still trying to love Me.

Should have learned a trade

Top Bottom