What lesson(s) did you learn too late in life ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, look after your teeth, few people understand the importance of oral hygiene to general mental and physical health.

Neither a lender nor a borrower be.

Never trust the "friend of a friend" favour. Make your own arrangements.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Thread reminds me of that Baz Luhrmann song "Sunscreen" :smile:

Slick

Guru
Apologies if this has been covered as I haven't read the previous pages but for me, my biggest single lesson is only fools and horses work.

It is now with some regret that I spent too many years with my head down and arse up (as they say) that did bring some success but it's only really when I finally stopped to look up, I realised there were lots of other options.

Brilliant !!!- I fell for that one ! - thankfully a chance conversation with an old friend in a pub - put me right before too much damage was done.
+1 here too but luckily swapped over to repayment. I should have listened to a pal of mine in the 1980s and he worked for a Building Society.

Ha - I got caught by that one too!
I had a crappy endowment mortgage for £24.5 k. The performance of the investments became so bad that it was looking like I would get about £12k at maturity rather than the £24.5k needed + a £15-20k bonus promised.
I ended up getting compensation for being mis-sold the mortgage and cashed the endowment in. I switched to an interest only mortgage and upped it to £60k. The interest payments on that turned out to be less than those on the endowment mortgage! :wacko:
So you've gone from having a mortgage half covered, to having a x2.5 bigger loan debt not covered in any way?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
So you've gone from having a mortgage half covered, to having a x2.5 bigger loan debt not covered in any way?
No, I went from a loan which was costing me a lot of money which I would could not afford and which would mean me selling my house there and then, to having a pot of cash and a mortgage which cost me less for a few years and then I sold my house, during which time its value had increased by more than the extra that I'd borrowed!

I also sold my useless endowment policy for about £12k, and got compensation for the crappy deal that had been foisted on me. And before anybody suggests that I knew what I was taking on at the start of all of this... I had specifically asked the bank AND the insurance company what would happen if interest rates fell and the deal was not as great as promised. I was told that the highly unlikely scenario was that my mortgage would be still paid off but I would only get half of the bonus pot. Absolute worst case scenario (so unlikely as to not be worth even thinking about) was having enough to clear the mortgage but only a small bonus. No mention whatsoever of ending up with no bonus and half a mortgage debt to clear.

….that I should have learned to programme in C when I was 25 rather than now.....
Do you need any pointers? :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
For years I've longed to retire - but now I feasibly could the thought terrifies me.
Been working for almost 40 years - the system has ground me into a machine - now I have the option to stop I just can't. Sad but true.
Why not? Find something else to do with your time, volunteer for example

For years I've longed to retire - but now I feasibly could the thought terrifies me.
Been working for almost 40 years - the system has ground me into a machine - now I have the option to stop I just can't. Sad but true.
I worked for 42 years and ended up as you say "into a machine" and was only too glad to retire early. I will admit though the first couple of months I tried to get everything done as quickly as I could ( the old work adage). The best piece of advice I was given is to spread jobs out, it would`nt matter if a job wasn`t done until tomorrow, who would worry. If you are able to retire, do it. As some one also said to me years ago "You`re a long time dead". He too is right.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
You are lucky, in life, if you can count on having two or three friends who will love you, unconditionally, and who you can turn to at any time in your life and be sure that they will be there for you.

Beyond that, you usually have an echelon of about five or six who are good, solid, dependable friends. However, for whatever reason, there are thing about you that you wouldn't share with these five or six friends that you would with your very closest ones, for whatever reason.

Everyone else is an ale mate, a team mate, or a colleague.

Top Bottom