What lights are best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jadesophia

Hello,

I am going to be commuting to work soon and will be doing so whilst it is dark. I am looking for lights that will do two things. Firstly I want to be seen, secondly I want to be able to see well. Sounds obvious but it is a bit of a minefield.

My commute is about 50 minutes on unlit roads.

Any help/tips would be great. I already plan on utilising a head torch but need something for the bike front and rear.

Thanks

Stu
I swear by my light and it's very reasonably priced to!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 70

carcharodon

Hello.
So far am very pleased with the Smart 700 USB after about a years use. Was only £30 and I use it alongside a Smart Lunar 35/60
Long run-times - low 220 lumen (use this setting mostly : 10 hours!) Medium 350 lumen : 6hrs.
Superflash good for daytime, has illuminated panel for side-on viability.
Mount is convenient for on/off the bike and has L/R adjustment. Looks to be weatherproof. Time will tell. I haven't used it much on maximum setting as lower ones are plenty for commutes.
My only complaint is that the beam pattern is spread out and throw is less than I like. Just my tastes though. Still puts out heaps of light and periphery light which makes you visible to others, and events either side in front of you...(if that makes sense)
Overall, a bargain in my books anyway..

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't bugger around with battery lights, go fo a Dynohub and B+M lights, brilliant light beams for cycling that don't dazzle other road users, far better than most battery lamps and always available, no recharging faff.

DRHysted

Guru
I've recently got a B&M battery front light, and it is just as good as their Dyno models. The one I've got is only listed as 50 lumens, but the beam of light has it falling exactly where you need it.

Darren Gregory

Rides a Pinnacle Arkose 3 and a Trek Emonda SL6
I have a solar storm front light for seeing with as I travel along some very dark country lanes and some with a tree canopy that are dark regardless of the moon's brightness. I also use a Fluxient U2 mini as my be seen light. I chose the Fluxient after reading this website here:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com

As far as front lights go I could do with a slightly brighter seeing light for some dark descents and will be looking to buy from Torchy.

Rear lights I use two Lezyne Zecto Drives, one on slow flash and one on permenant. It is a good idea to have two lights front and back in case one dies.

My commutes are starting to brighten up and it shouldn't be too long before I don't need seeing lights. I have my eyes on a See Sense Icon+ for next winter on the rear.

oldstrath

Über Member
I have a solar storm front light for seeing with as I travel along some very dark country lanes and some with a tree canopy that are dark regardless of the moon's brightness. I also use a Fluxient U2 mini as my be seen light. I chose the Fluxient after reading this website here:

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com

As far as front lights go I could do with a slightly brighter seeing light for some dark descents and will be looking to buy from Torchy.

Rear lights I use two Lezyne Zecto Drives, one on slow flash and one on permenant. It is a good idea to have two lights front and back in case one dies.

My commutes are starting to brighten up and it shouldn't be too long before I don't need seeing lights. I have my eyes on a See Sense Icon+ for next winter on the rear.
It really would be worth trying something such as the Ixon Premium first. My commute is also very dark, and this light is fine for me.

carcharodon

I don't know which lights are best,...anyhow, here's a list of bike lights that I have had to use over the past 6 years , in no particular order :

Serfas tsl-s 500
Smart 700 USB
Smart lunar 60 lux
Smart lunar 35 lux
Smart blaze 2 watt with "superflash"
Xeccon S-12
Aldi bikemate bike trail light 2013

)The Serfas is pretty much the same as the Moon x-power 500 with a better mount. Spot beam/long throw...probably my fave beam pattern and general urban commute light. Plenty of light/ run time on the 200 setting.
)Smart 700 USB. Good commuter light along with the lunar 60 lux. Wide angle beam, Long run times, heaps of power and value for money.
)Smart 35 /60 lux seems to be almost the same to me...economical. Spot beam. Good urban commuter light. 2 × AA rechageables.
)Smart blaze 2 watt + "superflash" : great for being seen? 2 × AA rechageables.
)Xeccon S-12 or (one23) brand in UK, separate battery , "O" ring mount, if I need maximum illumination/ off road etc + max throw + some more!
)Aldi Bikemate is still running well (separate battery pack) held on with rubber "O" rings, like a mini DX.com special. Cost me £20 !!

I think I must be a /Smart/Aldi /Xeccon Serfas/Moon fan?
My fridge is full of batteries.
Shine on!

bikeman66

Just be very wary of the cheap Chinese LED's you find on eBay etc. I guess we all want the best light possible for the cheapest price, but this technology cost a bit more for a reason. A cyclist friend of mine, who works with electronics for an aerospace company, tested a cheap Chinese light that his brother had bought and was so concerned about the potential safety issues with the battery / charger set-up that he posted a report on his findings on a local Facebook cycling group. They're probably not ALL bad, but if you buy through a reputable shop or site you'll have a bit of extra peace of mind that the product is up to a standard.

I'm going to see if I can somehow post my friends report on these lights on here, but getting something off of Facebook and on to here might be a bridge too far for my limited technical brain!!

Personally, I use a Lezyne Micro Drive 400 XL at the front, and a Moon Comet R at the rear. I've always found the 400 XL plenty good enough to see by, but some of the higher output Lezyne lights seem to be on offer at various outlets at the moment. The Comet R is a fantastic light and really useful on its highest setting (35 lumens) on foggy days.

dim

Just be very wary of the cheap Chinese LED's you find on eBay etc. I guess we all want the best light possible for the cheapest price, but this technology cost a bit more for a reason. A cyclist friend of mine, who works with electronics for an aerospace company, tested a cheap Chinese light that his brother had bought and was so concerned about the potential safety issues with the battery / charger set-up that he posted a report on his findings on a local Facebook cycling group. They're probably not ALL bad, but if you buy through a reputable shop or site you'll have a bit of extra peace of mind that the product is up to a standard.

I'm going to see if I can somehow post my friends report on these lights on here, but getting something off of Facebook and on to here might be a bridge too far for my limited technical brain!!

Personally, I use a Lezyne Micro Drive 400 XL at the front, and a Moon Comet R at the rear. I've always found the 400 XL plenty good enough to see by, but some of the higher output Lezyne lights seem to be on offer at various outlets at the moment. The Comet R is a fantastic light and really useful on its highest setting (35 lumens) on foggy days.

I paid £13 for mine last year (a Chinese Solarstorm with 3 LED's and a portable battery pack).... basically, it's the same as the magicshine that costs approx £100

I used it almost daily last year and most of this year, and no issue what so ever. I use the wall charger that comes with it, and charge it until the green light comes on ... I do not leave it charging overnight

Absolutely brilliant (I cycle on very dark unlit cycle paths most nights. I use mine with the headstrap, and the battery pack sits in my jacket side pocket .... and only use it on the low setting (which is very bright) .... the light is adjusted that it points down at 45 degrees and does not shine in people's faces .... when I cycle on the unlit dark sections, I tilt it up so as to see further.

If a cyclist approaches from the opposite direction, I tilt my head to the left so as not to blind him/her. If I'm cycling on a busy road and I see a car coming out of a side road, and if I'm concerned that he/she has not seen me, a quick glance at their direction, and they know that I'm approaching

These are the best lights on the market as far as light power and value are concerned .... I have ordered the round one that I posted earlier on in this thread to use as a backup for this winter ... I would not mount these on the handlebar though

Last edited:

bikeman66

I paid £13 for mine last year (a Chinese Solarstorm with 3 LED's and a portable battery pack).... basically, it's the same as the magicshine that costs approx £100

I used it almost daily last year and most of this year, and no issue what so ever. I use the wall charger that comes with it, and charge it until the green light comes on ... I do not leave it charging overnight

Absolutely brilliant (I cycle on very dark unlit cycle paths most nights. I use mine with the headstrap, and the battery pack sits in my jacket side pocket .... the light is adjusted that it points down at 45 degrees and does not shine in people's faces .... when I cycle on the unlit dark sections, I tilt it up so as to see further.

If a cyclist approaches from the opposite direction, I tilt my head to the left so as not to blind him/her. If I'm cycling on a busy road and I see a car coming out of a side road, and if I'm concerned that he/she has not seen me, a quick glance at their direction, and they know that I'm approaching

These are the best lights on the market as far as light power and value are concerned .... I have ordered the round one that I posted earlier on in this thread to use as a backup for this winter ... I would not mount these on the handlebar though
As I said, they're probably not all bad. The one he stripped down and tested was what might be considered a typical, if not specific, example of a cheap Chinese eBay bike light. He did not think the actual light unit itself was too bad, but was horrified (to a point where he felt it necessary to highlight his concerns to others) about the electronics in the charger and the battery. This guy is very highly qualified in electronics, but at the end of the day, his findings are his opinion and his advice is there to either be taken or dismissed. Having read his report, I personally, would not consider a cheap Chinese LED, but that is my choice.

One of the major issues, apart from the potential safety of the unit he tested, was that it could not have produced anywhere close to its claimed lumen output, which is reason enough not to buy in the first place in my opinion.

You pays your money, you takes your choice!

Jody

Stubborn git
As I said, they're probably not all bad. The one he stripped down and tested was what might be considered a typical, if not specific, example of a cheap Chinese eBay bike light. He did not think the actual light unit itself was too bad, but was horrified (to a point where he felt it necessary to highlight his concerns to others) about the electronics in the charger and the battery. This guy is very highly qualified in electronics, but at the end of the day, his findings are his opinion and his advice is there to either be taken or dismissed. Having read his report, I personally, would not consider a cheap Chinese LED, but that is my choice.

Always had this concern at the back of my mind. I ended up buying a waterproof case, some quality 18650 batteries and a stand alone digital charger. Couldn't bare the thought of fire risk even though I had no problem with the batteries/charger that were delivered with the unit.

dim

my cheap Chinese light arrived today (the same one that I linked earlier on):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222324204398?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

I tested it when I got home earlier .... it's super bright and a lot brighter than my Solarstorm

my advice is that you should be careful with this one .... don't mount it on the handlebars, but use the headband and adjust it to point down at 45 degrees....

on Low, it lights up my whole back garden (which is big) .... don't use it on high, and dont use the flashing mode (it will give people epileptic fits)... if you need a strong light for quiet very dark roads, this one is very good

not sure how good the battery pack is, but if it's as good as my older Solarstorm, I will be very happy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
my cheap Chinese light arrived today (the same one that I linked earlier on):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222324204398?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T

I tested it when I got home earlier .... it's super bright and a lot brighter than my Solarstorm

my advice is that you should be careful with this one .... don't mount it on the handlebars, but use the headband and adjust it to point down at 45 degrees....

on Low, it lights up my whole back garden (which is big) .... don't use it on high, and dont use the flashing mode (it will give people epileptic fits)... if you need a strong light for quiet very dark roads, this one is very good

not sure how good the battery pack is, but if it's as good as my older Solarstorm, I will be very happy

Your pack won't last very long. It's also wasted light. I do hope that's going nowhere near the road.

I have a Solarstorm XT40 (4 LEDs) and that draws a huge amount of power, and I only use that off road with a custom battery pack (special case and Panasonic batteries) -

dim

Your pack won't last very long. It's also wasted light. I do hope that's going nowhere near the road.

I have a Solarstorm XT40 (4 LEDs) and that draws a huge amount of power, and I only use that off road with a custom battery pack (special case and Panasonic batteries) -

bollocks ... my solarstorm battery pack has lasted me more than 1 year and I even use it in summer when I nip off to the shops when it's dark

if my new one lasts a year or even 4 months, I will be well pleased and I will buy a few more ...If I can see where I ride on very dark lanes every night, job done ... thats why I bought it

show me something better for £20

Top Bottom