What lights are best

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu20031

Hello,

I am going to be commuting to work soon and will be doing so whilst it is dark. I am looking for lights that will do two things. Firstly I want to be seen, secondly I want to be able to see well. Sounds obvious but it is a bit of a minefield.

My commute is about 50 minutes on unlit roads.

Any help/tips would be great. I already plan on utilising a head torch but need something for the bike front and rear.

Thanks

Stu

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Never found a head torch I rated for seeing by at bicycle speed, it'll also be shining right in the eyes of the people driving a ton and a half of metal towards you - dazzling those that can inadvertently kill you is never a good idea.

Budget? £20..50....100...++

If this is a regular thing and will continue to be for a good while then I would seriously consider getting a dynamo hub wheel built & appropriate permanently fixed light. More thief proof, never run out of battery power, lights invariably designed and built to throw light onto the road for just what you need.

How fast do you ride? - faster = needs brighter light further up the road so the brightness of the light comes into play.

If not dynamo, Are you looking for AA type battery power (dead easy spares but usually not super bright) or USB chargeable (often better power / brightness & useful if you're office worker for daytime top like a phone) or would non standard rechargeable battery types be ok? Usually bigger rechargeable battery packs with specific charger. Better power and very bright but fast discharge and if they die mid ride not as easy to carry spares.

At +/- 12 mph on my foldy bikes I can use my Cateye volt 300 (lumen) to see by in pitch dark countryside roads & trails. Much faster than this and I prefer either my Smart 700 (lumen) or my magicshine T6 clone (1000+ lumen) this OTT for road use really and bulky battery pack to consider) but it'll sure light your way - if you do go for this type, please replace the plain glass with a fresnel glass (£5 or so from amazon etc) to make the spread of light better for you to see by and not blind oncomming traffic.

Two lights are better than one, one flashy for others benefit and one steady for yours. This goes for the rear too. Steady lights allow drivers to gauge your distance better than flashy (apparently) as they approach and pass you.

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ my winter commuter uses a slightly earlier 1800 lumens version of the above. 5 years old in a few months, works flawlessly, lasts for about 6 hours at high output on a single charge, and has by several years outlived a Hope system I bought around the same time. Simply astonishing for the money.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The above but one post's link is the type I suggest the fresnel glass for. Brighter than anything else I own but the bulkiest too with its battery pack.

+1 to outliving Hope too, I had a Hope Vision 1 that cost far far more than ^^^^type and failed far far sooner.

oldstrath

Über Member
I'd agree about dynamo lights - the Cyo Premium is a good light, or the battery version, £52 from Rose http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-ixon-iq-premium-led-illumination-set/aid:703616. I confess to being cynical about these lights in the past, but this really does work well on my unlit commute (10 miles each way). Rear light I'm a lot less sure about - i currently use a microvis 180, but having ridden behind my wife who was using one, this http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-ixback-senso-led-back-light/aid:394197 worked pretty well.

Drago

Legendary Member
Take the battery pack out of it pouch, waterproof it by slipping it into a section of old inner tube, and it sits neatly between the rails on the underside of the seat. Almost entirely hidden from view with a single cable tie holding it neatly in position.

Clever stuff, eh?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Take the battery pack out of it pouch, waterproof it by slipping it into a section of old inner tube, and it sits neatly between the rails on the underside of the seat. Almost entirely hidden from view with a single cable tie holding it neatly in position.

Clever stuff, eh?
Yep, but where do I move my spare inner tube to once its hidey spot has been taken by the battery pack? :biggrin:

Reactions: gbb

puffinbilly

Veteran

Clever stuff, eh?

I'll try this - the only thing stopping me from using this light was where to put the battery case - I tried every position and it kept slipping on the frame.

huwsparky

Über Member
I rode quite a lot last winter and used a moon xp1500 (lumen) as my main light and a moon comet as a rear. The front light is awesome and can swivel from left to right on its mount making it a lot more friendly for oncoming traffic! The rear light only lasted about 2 months before packing up but was a great light when working. I also carried Aldi front and rear light as spares just in case...

On unlit roads I'd say 350 lumen would be absolute minimum, trouble with this little light though is picking potholes out. You just can't see them in time. Personally, for any spirited riding I use the 1000 lumen setting as a minimum as it's just necessary for spotting hazards in the road.

oldstrath

Über Member
Jumped on here as I HAVE to do some winter riding this year. That light really as good as y folks are saying here?

Out of curiously, if you're were out riding now (9 and dark) what setup would you have on (other lights etc)
Well, i was out at 10pm on Thursday, rode 15 miles on unlit roads , ixon iq premium front, micro vis180 rear, no problems, rode at 18 -20 mph quite happily.

Top Bottom