What lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
just looking to see what ones to buy, was thinking do I order from UK or risk something from HK??

I would order from the UK :thumbsup: Torchy is getting his twin lights in the next week or so if you can wait that long :laugh:

I have this - It's into it's 2nd Winter now. Only issue is the Screw came loose on the light to bracket connector but I superglued it.

Used on the Rea Valley Route (Unlit Cycle lanes) and can't fault it for the price. Much much brighter than the 2 Tesco torches used from 2008-2010 winters !

Don't get me wrong it is bright but i lost the screw and the battery works sometimes and not others :sad:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Torchy must order in direct from HK, might wait and see what turns up. will keep scouring the bay. Plenty Uk sellars, just wonder if Torchy has factored in the more expensive batteries ie better quality? If so might see about getting torches cheaper elsewhere and buy his batteries??

Col5632

Guru
Torchy must order in direct from HK, might wait and see what turns up. will keep scouring the bay. Plenty Uk sellars, just wonder if Torchy has factored in the more expensive batteries ie better quality? If so might see about getting torches cheaper elsewhere and buy his batteries??

Yeah he said the delivery is at stansted the now, that seems like an option also, i like his "if your not happy send them back for a full refund" plus everybody raves about his stuff and reviews on here :thumbsup:

Col5632

Guru
yep I might just bite the bullet, not sure I want to risk another of those MS clone headlights, torches do look far neater.

Yeah i like the thought of being able to have spare back up batteries as i have been caught out with no light before as the battery has just died on me even though i charged it that morning :cursing: and like you said if you have two you can run with one and leave one as a backup or an extra for unlit paths. Most of my commute is on lit roads so its mainly just to be seen

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
to be honest doubt you need anything as bright if its just to be seen? So presume you will run on low? For me I need freekin laser beams :biggrin: from now until approx March for the dark mornings. My commute is unlit for most parts until I hit Crammond

Davidc

Guru
I am inclined to think this idea of having one steady rear light is a bit of a red herring because once a vehicle's headlights illuminate a cyclist they damn well ought to be able to judge the distance.
It may well be that in an urban environment where numpty drivers sometimes only use sidelights [don't get me started on that one!] then a steady light could be of more use for judging distance, but I'm not convinced, perhaps the urbanites on here could run some experiments with non cycling friends?

My experience is different.

I have found that in a lit environment I get better response from drivers with a single steady back light than with a single flashing one, but a mix leads to less close passes and better respect for my needs than either. Usually at night I have 1 flashing and one steady Smart plus a steady B&M from the dynamo, so only the doziest drivers can miss me.

At the front I only use steady lights - can't stand having a light flashing all the time, and I just don't have any problems being seen, though there are occasionally drivers who clearly aren't looking or at least not registering anything. They wouldn't see it if the Eddystone lighthouse was on the front.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yeah i like the thought of being able to have spare back up batteries as i have been caught out with no light before as the battery has just died on me even though i charged it that morning :cursing: and like you said if you have two you can run with one and leave one as a backup or an extra for unlit paths. Most of my commute is on lit roads so its mainly just to be seen
remember, low temperatures can kill battery output. the laws of physics are merciless.

Col5632

Guru
to be honest doubt you need anything as bright if its just to be seen? So presume you will run on low? For me I need freekin laser beams :biggrin: from now until approx March for the dark mornings. My commute is unlit for most parts until I hit Crammond

Need it super bright for atleast 1 mile then it can go on medium/low after that :thumbsup:

remember, low temperatures can kill battery output. the laws of physics are merciless.

My battery was killed before it even became cold :cursing:

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Was just about to order the twin lights from Torchy only to find they were out of stock so good news that they will be available soon as I have already had one a*se pull out towards me at a lit roundabout and then take exception to me shouting at him! Dont you just love these dark mornings!

Davidc

Guru
Was just about to order the twin lights from Torchy only to find they were out of stock so good news that they will be available soon as I have already had one a*se pull out towards me at a lit roundabout and then take exception to me shouting at him! Dont you just love these dark mornings!
Brightness won't help. If he pulled out he either wasn't looking or didn't care. You can put the floodlights from Wembley Stadium on your bike and anyone who doesn't respond to a normal bright light won't take any notice of them.

Make sure you don't cause an accident by dazzling someone.

So what would you suggest? I wear high viz, have fitted spoke reflectors and three forward and three rear facing lights. What else can a cyclist do to be seen!!!!!
Nothing actually, until the tipping point is reached where a majority of people ride a bike, you have to ride everywhere with the assumption that you are invisible in spite of your best attempts to prove otherwise.

Last night, two of us were riding two abreast on a country lane, me with my Hope Vision 1 on full, my mate with his dynamo light. An approaching car dipped its lights and pulled over into a layby to let the "car" pass. :highfive:
Yes, we have the same experience on many occasions [we both have Hope's], but as I alluded to in an earlier post, over the last few years front lights have got increasingly powerful but not using a controlled beam as in dipped car headlights. Looking at a car with dipped headlights is much easier than looking at the Hopes and they are relatively low powered compared with many. There is definitely an element of "boys and their toys" and the must have more lumens when in actual fact most of these lights are terribly inefficient at throwing a beam where you really need it without searing the eyeballs of anyone coming towards you. I am always told to just angle my light down to stop blinding anyone, yes well, I like to have my light tight on the bars so it can't be moved around. Another option that peeps come up with is to make some kind of hood fro the light, why should you have to? There are lights out there that throw a beam exactly like that of a car on dipped, it isn't rocket science. Can you tell I am bored :smile:.

Top Bottom