What lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We are moving to somewhere part of the commute will be on unlit roads & cycle paths so I am currently waiting for delivery of a 900 lumen, no-name light from Deal Extreme for about £25

OP
OP
matty01

matty01

25 quid that's cheap please let us know how it goes :-)

jaynana

Most rear lights as they come aren't very waterproof. Silicone grease on the seals deals with the problem. Smarts are well known for this problem.

i use knogg. supposedly waterproof! rubbish! of course to be fair i ride without mudguards so the light gets a constant shower of dirt and water when it rains.. but that's what it should be designed for.

i just ordered a self amalgamating tape, lets see if that sorts the leak.

25 quid that's cheap please let us know how it goes :-)

I ordered this light and this adapter on Friday 17/08 and they arrived this morning.

Apologies for poor quality pics ...

What was in the packaging:
054.JPG

Comparison to my old CatEye Opticube:
057.JPG

Full beam:
059.JPG
060.JPG

Dipped Beam (Opticube only has on or off)
061.JPG
062.JPG

Opticube only:
063.JPG
064.JPG

Now all I need is a dark ride :hyper:

Jdratcliffe

use leyzne power drive x 2 on the front on solid with a exposure flash flashing the i have a flare on pulse and two cat eye rapid 3's on the random mode ( very bright)

OP
OP
matty01

matty01

Just bought 2 Cree q5 480 lumens off eBay and a rear light, takes 3 aaa and has the extension for the 18650 battery for 16 quid there bright to, and a pair of 18650 batterys and charger for 7 quid can't believe I was even thinking of spending 200 quid on a light, I paid just over 20 and got more than I want :-)

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
best rear light I have come across is this Cateye rear light. It has 270 Degree round visibilty (in other words it is actually road legal with the sides lighting up and flashing as well) and is full waterproof having stood up to 7 years of commuting, a norwegian summer and finland in the tail end of a hurricane.

It is very bright, £21 at it's cheapest online, has 2 separate strips of LED's so one can flash, one constant, both flash differently or both constant... takes AA batteries and we have been running them off rechargables for that last 18 months. Won't have any other rear light (but will have small backup as emergency...) which has never been needed yet. My oldest one is now 8 years old or so... and they are fitted to all 4 of our bikes.
41SiTYSOefL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just remembered, passed someone in the car last winter so I didn't manage to get too close a look.
Racer/Road style bike it could have been some sort of add-ons, but it looks like red LEDs bar ends. Obviously with a roady they'd point in the 'right' direction, rearwards.
Anyone seen them, or any better/more likely explanation of what they were?
<edit> found 'em, new thread :-)

RoadieT

For my set up up front I have 2 Cree q5 lights, riding on unlit country roads these are fantastic, I did get the usual mode change issues but there are some simple fixes here

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpQAvum0bM

Round the back I have Lezyne Micro Drive, this is as bright as rear lights are legally allowed to be and with a daytime mode which is really viable cars give me a lot more room when passing. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=86385&gclid=CIbGjOWgt7ICFccLfAodoDwAQA

I will get some pics up later.

Top Bottom