What lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The magicshines are good on quiet country lanes, they light up hedges and trees so the light spill can often be seen before people have line of sight to your bike or your lights and they light up lots of the road so no worry of hitting potholes or junk in the road. You have to be considerate to how dazzling they are to oncoming traffic though. I pair mine up with a crappy 1watt headlight as emergency.

On the rear i find smart lunar R2s to be very good and theyre available discounted to about £13, I put one on each side of the seat stay. You can get brighter but theyre pretty damn bright compared to cheap rears and even cateye rears etc. Fibreflares are great too, very eyecatching and very visable from the sides too, worth the money.

Its worth spending an extra couple of quid on a tube of silicone grease for waterproofing whatever battery lights you get, just smear grease around the battery compartment seal etc to stop water getting in and corroding things.

Peteaud

Veteran

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive been tempted by one of those - Ive got the mj-872 magicshine with 4 LEDS thats very floody and thought a T6 would compliment it with some focussed range. Struggling to decide between one of those like yours and a P7 magicshine for about 15quid more, but with the nice battery with LCD display. I did order a T6 a long time ago from deal extreme, but the order got cancelled.

I was hoping to use the magicshine a deflector as dipped beam and have a T6 set straight ahead as a kind of full beam for offroad/no oncoming traffic, do you think that would work well? Ive not really tried multiple crees together.

Davidc

Guru
Most rear lights as they come aren't very waterproof. Silicone grease on the seals deals with the problem. Smarts are well known for this problem.

2 each end as a minimum. If one front and one rear is dynamo and the other battery you keep the risk of total failure to a minimum. Use the search function to find plenty on the forum about lights - almost as many words as on helmets!

defy-one

Thanks folks - very informative. I need to be seen, as my commute is all London based on well lit roads. 2 on the front and 3 on the back (seatpost, rack & pannier) will be my arrangement.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive been running over a dozen smarts - thats what they give us for the rear at work - and one is nearly a decade ok'd and they're all fine. They survivecoatrols, training, the bikes being chucked about on defensive tactics training, sometimes hard enough to bend pedals and cranks, yet not one of my box of battered Smarts has ever leaked a drop.

OP
OP
matty01

matty01

Il keep an eye out for the Cree and magicshine think I might order a couple sets see which is best for me :-)

Hawk

Veteran
Rear: Sigma Sport Tailblazer. Brighter than a mars 4 and has a better mode (main light constant, minor LEDs flash).

www.thebikelightshop.co.uk have them :smile:

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive been tempted by one of those - Ive got the mj-872 magicshine with 4 LEDS thats very floody and thought a T6 would compliment it with some focussed range. Struggling to decide between one of those like yours and a P7 magicshine for about 15quid more, but with the nice battery with LCD display. I did order a T6 a long time ago from deal extreme, but the order got cancelled.

I was hoping to use the magicshine a deflector as dipped beam and have a T6 set straight ahead as a kind of full beam for offroad/no oncoming traffic, do you think that would work well? Ive not really tried multiple crees together.

You can get them on ebay a bit cheaper but check the plug is a fused one. For the price they are unbeatable and as they are the same i have 2 chargers that are the same, so if needed you can take one to work just in case.

Top Bottom