What lovely chappies: thank you Tarmac!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Just got back from a thoroughly enjoyable 52km on the bike to turn the legs after Saturday's audax. There were some errands that required doing, so rather than take the car I took the bike. At one point I was crossing the A47 and thought "b*gg*rit!" as the road I wanted to be on was closed for resurfacing. I was not looking forward to several miles cycling on the A47. But the nice chappies in the contractor's vehicle at the start of the closed section waved me through. A bit further along, the road was being completely resurfaced for its entire width. Cue contractors with gentlemanly manners. No problem, said they, just walk along the verge. The verge was narrow and unasked; one of the workmen came over, took my bike from me and carried it for me along the narrow bit. What a gentleman! Being a polite cyclist I thanked him and the rest of the guys for their cooperation & assistance. To top it off, *all* motorists were exceedingly courteous to me. Hurrah! What an enjoyable cycle ride!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is a change.....

trio25

Über Member
That is lovely, reminds me that a lot of motorists and people you pass when out are actually really nice.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I had a similar thing happen in the French Alps. The road I wanted to go along was closed for resurfacing, but they quite happily waved me on and asked me not to ride on the hot bits.
I was wearing skintight lycra too. Maybe it's a lycra thing?:wacko:

Bigtallfatbloke

same thing happens to me every time I come across an all female road gang:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
TheDoctor said:
I had a similar thing happen in the French Alps. The road I wanted to go along was closed for resurfacing, but they quite happily waved me on and asked me not to ride on the hot bits.
I was wearing skintight lycra too. Maybe it's a lycra thing?:evil:

scoosh said:
Hmmmm .... maybe you'd better post a pic and let the assembled community decide :tongue:

I think I'd rather not. People may have the notion that a lithe, skinny TheDoctor is posting here, and I'd hate to shatter their fantasies:biggrin:. Anyone expecting a greying fat b@stard will be nearer the mark:sad:.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Further developments.

I got an email from the contracting director of Tarmac.

"Many thanks for e-mail - I will make sure our Construction Team get the feedback.

I am a cyclist myself so I do appreciate how vulnerable we are on our ever busy roads.

Digging up the Nations Road Network does not make us the most popular of people - however we do have a job to do and we do try to minimise inconvenience to all road users.

Thanks again for the time you took to send us the e-mail - may I wish you happy, "aggro free" and SAFE cycling.

Kind Regards"

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

TheDoctor said:
I think I'd rather not. People may have the notion that a lithe, skinny TheDoctor is posting here, and I'd hate to shatter their fantasies:biggrin:. Anyone expecting a greying fat b@stard will be nearer the mark:biggrin:.

Look on this in a positive way. Experience and someone who can keep you warm on a cold winter night. After all, who wants to cuddle a bag of bones on a cold night! :thumbsup:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
Look on this in a positive way. Experience and someone who can keep you warm on a cold winter night. After all, who wants to cuddle a bag of bones on a cold night! :smile:

A good point well made, Waffles. You are a boost to my self-esteem.:biggrin:
*makes mental note to do ride in Norfolk soon*

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was wearing skintight lycra too. Maybe it's a lycra thing?:wacko:
Similar thing happened to me near Forfar. The alternative road was a bit frightening but they just waved me through and as above I just walked on the verge and was warned not to go on the warm bits. I am definitely not young and not female and was not wearing lycra.

Top Bottom