What makes you blub like a baby?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
User76 said:
Hey guys, I'm only joking.

Our daughter, now healthy and fit and 5, was really ill when she was born. When she was 6 weeks old she had lost half her birthweight, and weighed in at a hefty 3lb9oz:ohmy: I carried her down for a lumbar puncture, at the Bristol CHILDRENS Hospital, and the anaesathist shook his head and had to go and find a needle small enough to carry out the procedure. Boy was I blubbing when he came back:wacko:

She now regualrly makes me blub by just still being here, she really is a little fighter:thumbsup: I also blubbed when, earlier in the year, my son took on the challenge of the BHF Somerset Bike Ride (some of you may remember), he did the whole 27 miles un-aided (aged 7) and suggested his sponsorship money went to the hospital ward that saved Tillys life, thats my boy:biggrin:

Is your daughter called Matilda?

ash68

close to tears reading these posts.Heart wrenching stuff, especially kiddies with illnesses/problems.

Think the last time for me was reading the two books by Jane Tomlinson. You got the feeling she was such a down to earth normal woman, with everyday problems and worries. On top of this she had cancer, but overcame this to achieve many exceptional sporting achievments, don't think I could ever cope with what she did, a true heroine.

domtyler

Über Member
User76 said:
Yes, she is called Matilda. We named her after the character in Leon, my favourite film.

:biggrin::biggrin: Mine too, didn't really name her after anyone but just love the name. I thought it was really unusual at the time but keep coming across more and more naughty little Matildas. :ohmy:

I cried when I first held my son in my arms after watching my wife go through hell to give birth to him. (Thank you, thank you, thank you for the truly wonderful gift of our son.) Now he's thirteen and six feet tall and plays Rugby League.
As far as films go Schindlers List gets me.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I was a nurse (yes I'm a bloke) for a few years (20+ years ago), and got used to seeing dead poeople, ill people etc. But there was one wee girl who had epidermolysis bullosa where the skin blisters/falls off through contact with anything else. This was before I had kids myself. I used to read her stories before she went to sleep, and she was a really sweet-natured kid, whose days were numbered. I changed wards at some point, but remember blubbing like a leaky hosepipe when i heard she'd died... :biggrin:
I'm a bit blubtastic watching films and telly, more so since I've had kids...don't mind admitting that.... :ohmy:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

It's good that you're all so emotionally open. I like being emotionally open. I forgot that the song: 'kids' by Lou Reed gets to me. If you haven't heard it, then the last half of it is basically just kids crying and screaming: 'mummy' as they are taken away from their parents. Truly the most heartwrenching song that I've ever heard.

bonj2

SamNichols said:
It's good that you're all so emotionally open. I like being emotionally open. I forgot that the song: 'kids' by Lou Reed gets to me. If you haven't heard it, then the last half of it is basically just kids crying and screaming: 'mummy' as they are taken away from their parents. Truly the most heartwrenching song that I've ever heard.

that wouldn't make me sad, it would just annoy me - as that sort of thing just shouldn't be in music.
But you've reminded me of your favourite song thread, but i'll update that thread instead of posting it in here.

Now I'm remembering all the times I've blubbed and all the different things I've blubbed at! I used to think I was 'ard.

One which springs to mind is when I went to Normandy just after the 50th anniversary of the D Day landings. I saw the pontoon they constructed and the beaches where the soldiers landed and had absolutely no chance of scaling the cliffs and were just sitting ducks. That made me cry.

Also this view. That's me, on the right, having involuntary blubbed (but only slightly) having spent 55 miles ploughing into a 20 mile wind, to be rewarded with the view 1 mile from where we were staying. It's the summer isles, raasay, and skye cullins all in one sparkly vista.

Actually I blubbed two other times on my most recent tour. As I arrived in Durness after horrific rain the sun came out and there was a huge rainbow, and once along loch loyal when I realised I was on my way home after a truly blissful week away.

JamesAC

Fab Foodie said:
The Railway Children.

There are many more movies and occasions...but I'm too embarrassed to say. But the Railway Children does it every time.

It's the scene where Perkins grudgingly begins to accept the bithday presents that the village people have givine him that gets me.

I don't sob, of course; I'm a bloke, after all! But I do have to blow my nose a bit.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
JamesAC said:
It's the scene where Perkins grudgingly begins to accept the bithday presents that the village people have givine him that gets me.

I don't sob, of course; I'm a bloke, after all! But I do have to blow my nose a bit.

You're lucky...I start blubbing at the opening credits...:ohmy:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Oh jeez Louise, I just saw the film 'open'. If you blub at films, then see this film, it's a real tear jerker. It is neither musical, nor romance, spans both and is better than most of both genres. Lovely, subtle, cheaply made and brilliant.

Top Bottom