What mileage for a beginners ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think 10k will seem a lot to a non cyclist!
Not all children are the same, mine cycle regularly with me but the 8 miles (4 out and 4 back) of cycle path is plenty enough for them. The youngest won't even tackle a hill, she gets off and pushes.
If you can plan a picnic rest after about 5miles with the "official" target being a further 5 miles, the fitter riders could then do that extra ten and be back before the less able riders have finished their sandwiches.

Radchenister

Veteran
I think the OP has abandoned the family bit, as it doesn't gel with the multiple day sponsored distance event?

Shame, I was imaginig a lovely sunny day whirring round the French countryside, ending with a sociable picnic lunch (fresh baguette,Camembert, cured meats and a glass of Beaujolais etc.) next to a bubbling brook, with the back drop of a traditional little village ... sigh.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I think the OP has abandoned the family bit, as it doesn't gel with the multiple day sponsored distance event?

Correct. And it is a shame but maybe something I will return to once we've got this first ride sorted.

When you have a few people involved in organising an event, you'll always get different ideas. That's to be expected. What we have yet to do is work out what we are trying to achieve, hopefully that'll be sorted this week.

When the person behind this idea approached me, it was with the intention of riding to London for the Hope for Heroes rides (in June or July I think) I backed them off that idea because of the time scale. I didn't feel there was enough time to get people ready for what would have been a 6 or 7 day ride - particularly not when we didn't even know who might be interested, so no idea of abilities!

So I wanted to put together an introductory ride, a teaser to gauge levels of interest. I like the family ride idea but it's not what we want at this point.

Radchenister

Veteran
I wouldn't listen to my strange musings. recalling family hol's, combined with work avoiding Monday morning fantasies :biggrin: , keep us posted though!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Our club has a 100 k event with a set of 3 30 k loops to a common point, and people drop out as they like. There is also a later starting 25 k course, and a 2k for the kiddies. Bar-Be- Que afterward.

The Dwaff Family

I would say atleast 15/20 if you plan on making it a whole day thing with lunch inbetween etc. kids will cope well I think as they'll be enjoying it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Difficult to quantify but better to have a ride too short that leaves them wanting more than one too long that puts them off cycling completely.

Top Bottom