What model is this Scott bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottcycler

Hello all, could you help me identify which model this Scott bike is?
Also, what seat post would fit best? (diameter, mm)

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
That's pretty old, probably not beyond early to mid nineties - quill stem. I know from experience that there's no way to ask Scott, as the company has changed hands so much since then, at that time USA, now Swiss. My Scott roadie is newer, but was still unable to find even a catalogue entry for it.
As for the seatpost, the only sure-fire way is to measure it, ideally with some calipers. Having said that, it may well be stamped on it. I f you take it out, it may well be there somewhere below the minimum insertion guideline.
I'd guess that's a 3x7 gear set-up?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Worth bearing in mind seat post sizes have not changed over the years, but they have been converted to metric.

That's why we have odd metric measurements such as 27.2mm - it was simply converted from 1" 1/8th or whatever it equates to.

So if the post is marked in imperial, you may need to convert to mm to get the right new one.

Another example is 25.4mm, which is an inch.

OP
OP
S

scottcycler

Hello all,
Thank you for your replies!
Unfortunately, my bike saddle and post were both stolen so can't check if the post is marked :sad:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A digital calliper will measure the internal diameter of the seat tube.

Handy tool to own if you do a bit of fettling.

A cheap one for a few quid is all that's needed for home use.

What it will also do is give you a template without needing to read the measurement.

You could then take the set calliper to a bike shop and see what they have that fits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ver...QBA&biw=1272&bih=629#spd=10562946482901048781

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've got an Aldi one at home, not Mitotoyo quality but perfectly useable.

I have an old manual one, but I've long since forgotten how to read the vernier and my declining eyesight might now make it difficult.

I was tempted by the Aldi one, and while I don't need ultimate accuracy it was suspiciously cheap.

But from what you say it would do the job for me.

Very handy tool, because as well as internal and external measurements, it will also do 'plunge' measurements using the spike which comes out of the right hand end.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I have an old manual one, but I've long since forgotten how to read the vernier and my declining eyesight might now make it difficult.

I was tempted by the Aldi one, and while I don't need ultimate accuracy it was suspiciously cheap.

But from what you say it would do the job for me.

Very handy tool, because as well as internal and external measurements, it will also do 'plunge' measurements using the spike which comes out of the right hand end.

I've reshimmed bikes using a manual vernier caliper to measure the shims (left micrometer at home). Doable but wouldn't want to make a habit of it!.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be 27.2 BUT, my Diamond Back with Tange Tubing is 27.0. I've fortunately still got the original seat post.

Try borrowing a couple of seat posts !

Top Bottom