What motivates you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rh100

rh100

tyred said:
I started to continue my weight loss programme. Hasn't really helped that tbh (I've gradually gone back to my old dietry habits). I do feel much fitter which is nice but I have found a pleasant surprise. I was always prone to low mood and bouts of depression. Since i started cycling on a regular basis, I don't seem to have this low mood problem. I haven't been able to cycle for about three weeks now owing to about three inches of solid ice on the local roads and I find myself becoming depressed again. I can't wait to get going again.

But above all, I just enjoy it. I know I'm not that fast, I know my bikes are all built on the cheap out of bits and pieces, I know "serious" cyclists probably laugh at me but I enjoy myself so anyone else can F*** off.

The thing is, you ride a bike for your own benefit and enjoyment - not anyone else's - so enjoy it the way you like. I wouldn't worry about the "serious" cyclists, a 4 year old can ride a bike so what they have to brag about I'm not sure ;)

I feel chirpier with cycling aswell.

lukesdad

rh100 said:
The thing is, you ride a bike for your own benefit and enjoyment - not anyone else's - so enjoy it the way you like. I wouldn't worry about the "serious" cyclists, a 4 year old can ride a bike so what they have to brag about I'm not sure ;)

Not all "serious" cyclists are elitest I think you ll find. The ones on CC are more than ready to offer encouragement and help and advice when asked,and dont laugh at anybody except idiots.

lukesdad

rh100 said:

Not all "serious" cyclists are elitest I think you ll find. The ones on CC are more than ready to offer encouragement and help and advice when asked,and dont laugh at anybody except idiots.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

lukesdad said:

No offence was meant, sorry. That was aimed only at those that would mock :biggrin: and I'm fully aware how helpfull CC'ers are.

jimboalee

Here's some encouragement.

Go out for a short 50 km loop. About two and a bit hours.

If you ONLY eat 500 kCals for it, you'll lose over ¼ lb of unwanted bodyweight.

Personally, I wouldn't eat anything extra for this length ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

I am a stone lighter than I was in 2008, still a little to heavy but stable, comfortable and any health checks come back as good. My motivation to change what I ate and stick to it, angina and surgery. Before that I carried to much weight, ate the wrong food and couldn't stick to any diet changes I made, I always drifted back. After the diagnosis I changed what I was eating, I didn't go on a Diet just changed the food I was eating and the weight fell of.

The fat around my neck that shouldn't be there and that feeling you have when you find your trousers no longer fit.

Also looking at pictures of me when I was less than 10stone.

jimboalee

Riverman said:
The fat around my neck that shouldn't be there and that feeling you have when you find your trousers no longer fit.

Also looking at pictures of me when I was less than 10stone.

You mean... Too loose at the waist and too tight round the thighs...xx(

colinr

3. Eliminate bread and potatoes and avoid too much pasta from your diet and replace with oatmeal biscuits, and rice

Why is rice ok and pasta not? White or brown rice? Any difference if it's wholemeal pasta? Just curious, plus tuna and rice salad sounds like a rubbish lunch.

3. Eliminate bread and potatoes and avoid too much pasta from your diet and replace with oatmeal biscuits, and rice

heh screw that. Oatmeal biscuits? I'm not living on a prison ship. :tongue:

Lots of tea and coffee are OK(IMO)

Tea and coffee gives me nausea sometimes. Eating helps to get rid of the nausea, so the above doesn't work for everyone. :laugh:

jimboalee

Riverman said:
heh screw that. Oatmeal biscuits? I'm not living on a prison ship. :sad:

Tea and coffee gives me nausea sometimes. Eating helps to get rid of the nausea, so the above doesn't work for everyone. :smile:

Be sure to get some protein with those ship's biscuits. A tub of Mealworm grubs from the pet store.

Bayerd

Über Member
jimboalee said:
Here's some encouragement.

Go out for a short 50 km loop. About two and a bit hours.

If you ONLY eat 500 kCals for it, you'll lose over ¼ lb of unwanted bodyweight.

Personally, I wouldn't eat anything extra for this length ride.

Yep, similarly to this, I try to do 10 miles first thing every morning. If I do this every day, I lose about 1lb a week.

Top Bottom