What motivates you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
Find that I'm always slightly hungry when riding regularly. Just don't eat any more and weight slowly but surely comes off. Stone and a half since August without any real effort that I've noticed. Slowly does it I reckon.

Yes I haven't really gone over 25miles yet and I haven't done that many rides that length, yet have lost 2 stone since last May. I think slow and frequent is a good way to lose weight.

More frequent and shorter rides is a better habit to get into than a load of long ones if you're just trying to lose weight, imo.

jimboalee

Riverman said:
Yes I haven't really gone over 25miles yet and I haven't done that many rides that length, yet have lost 2 stone since last May. I think slow and frequent is a good way to lose weight.

More frequent and shorter rides is a better habit to get into than a load of long ones if you're just trying to lose weight, imo.

Yup. The lower intensity and therefore the lower heartrate and the Aerobic use of the muscles will allow time for the body's systems to synthesise fatty acids for energy.

Even if they were moderate intensity but short, Glycogen reserves will not be depleted completely and the feeling of hunger delayed until 'proper' dinner time.

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Yup. The lower intensity and therefore the lower heartrate and the Aerobic use of the muscles will allow time for the body's systems to synthesise fatty acids for energy.

Even if they were moderate intensity but short, Glycogen reserves will not be depleted completely and the feeling of hunger delayed until 'proper' dinner time.

So my attempts to ride as hard as I possible can in an effort to lose weight have been in vain and I would have been better riding a bit slower?

darkstar

David Goggins is one of the major sources of inspiration for me. Whenever i feel like skipping a ride, run or weights session i just read an extract from his blog.

jimboalee

tyred said:
So my attempts to ride as hard as I possible can in an effort to lose weight have been in vain and I would have been better riding a bit slower?

It IS possible to lose weight by riding hard.

Glycogen will be used quicker ( until the 'Bonk' occurs ).
Post ride meals should be mostly protein.

Hunger will be intense and you have to resist eating sweet stuff packed with carbohydrate until the day before your next blast.

In several days, your body will replace the blood's glycogen by metabolizing some of your fat reserves.

There will be a resultant weight loss, but it is a torture and you will not be able to ride equally as hard the following day, if ride at all.

darkstar

I've always thought that interval training is the best method of loosing weight? Short bursts of maximum effort (say 10 minutes) followed by a 1 minute cool down, and repeat. It makes you feel dreadful whilst you're doing it, but great after :smile:

jimboalee

darkstar said:
I've always thought that interval training is the best method of loosing weight? Short bursts of maximum effort (say 10 minutes) followed by a 1 minute cool down, and repeat. It makes you feel dreadful whilst you're doing it, but great after :smile:

Whatever training you do to lose weight, you HAVE TO eat LESS Available Carbs than the calories you expend.

Training at maximal effort will encourage the muscle to build, so protein should be eaten. Nevertheless, LESS calories in than out.

darkstar

jimboalee said:
Whatever training you do to lose weight, you HAVE TO eat LESS Available Carbs than the calories you expend.

Training at maximal effort will encourage the muscle to build, so protein should be eaten. Nevertheless, LESS calories in than out.

Oh yes, for sure. I'm not trying too loose weight (have done in the past though), i'm trying to gain muscle mass!

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:

Ah, that's where I go wrong. Repeatedly:blush:

It's this seafood diet you see. If I see food, I eat it:hungry:

Brahan

Über Member
I sometimes just forget that I'm supposed to be eating healthy food. I'll be really good, food and portion wise for a few days then BAM it's a huge big fat curry and beer night, then wine the next day or something. There's a 900g box of Family Circle biscuits (which I specifically asked that my colleague doesn't bring in) sitting accross from me but I'm not going to eat ANY of them because I've decided that he can stuff them all down his face. The thing is however, unless I think about it I'll get home after my ride and go full attack on the fridge.....then have my meal. The bit in my body that says, 'perhaps you should stop stuffing your face about now' seems to have gone....

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
It IS possible to lose weight by riding hard.

Glycogen will be used quicker ( until the 'Bonk' occurs ).
Post ride meals should be mostly protein.

Hunger will be intense and you have to resist eating sweet stuff packed with carbohydrate until the day before your next blast.

In several days, your body will replace the blood's glycogen by metabolizing some of your fat reserves.

There will be a resultant weight loss, but it is a torture and you will not be able to ride equally as hard the following day, if ride at all.

So how much effort and what sort of mileage do you think a typical cyclist would need to put in to get maximum calorie burning advantage before any of the above starts to kick in?

Presumably, there is little to gain from dawdling down the road in first gear at five mph. What would be the happy medium?

I never think about weight loss, I only think about fitness and eating healthily, and the weight loss normally accompanies it. If I even contemplated focusing on weight loss I would become the most self obsessed, vain, ultimately self hating person on the planet and I can't cope with the prospect of that!

Motivation points:
  • Looking in the mirror and seeing a waist thinner than my chest (big motivator for me).
  • More energy.
  • Being able to laugh at acquaintances who buy expensive gym memberships then don't use 'em.
  • Being able to run around with my kids.
  • Being able to climb a flight of stairs and not get breathless.
  • Sniggering at cage-bound commutes stuck in traffic jams (yes, i makes me immature and a big kid but I can't help it :becool: :smile: ).
  • Knowing that I'm probably extending my life by keeping my heart healthy.
That'll do for now :smile:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Browser said:
Motivation points:

• [*] Increasing my probability of evading Vike when I break the law!
  • Looking in the mirror and seeing a waist thinner than my chest (big motivator for me).
  • More energy.
  • Being able to laugh at acquaintances who buy expensive gym memberships then don't use 'em.
  • Being able to run around with my kids.
  • Being able to climb a flight of stairs and not get breathless.
  • Sniggering at cage-bound commutes stuck in traffic jams (yes, i makes me immature and a big kid but I can't help it ;) :cheers: ).
  • Knowing that I'm probably extending my life by keeping my heart healthy.
That'll do for now :biggrin:
Fixed that for ya Browser

Top Bottom