What MPV? Any experience/views...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The time has come I'm afraid...

With 3 growing kids 7, 12 and 14, our much loved, frugal Octavia Estate is just getting too small. Our tatty second car (well., rubbish skip more like) a 406 estate is costing far more than it's worth and barely moves form the drive.

So we've made the (brave for us) decision to go to 1 car only and get a full-sized 7 seater. Reasons are many including car-share issues, space for camping trips/activity holidays/weekends long drives to S. of France etc. and carrying a lot of bikes about

Not really excited about cars, reliability, low cost, reliability, low running costs, reliability and volume are main considerations. Would keep for a long time so depreciation less of an issue.

Views/Opinions sought...

stevenb

Toyota Previa. ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Have had both Ford Galaxy (excellent, but high petrol consumption) and Fiat Ulysse (aka Useless) which is actually very good, and more economical than the Ford. ;)

stevenb

The VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy and the other yank barge are all the same car. Pug 806 is ok, The classic Espace is ok...although dated. the Citroen picasso is an option. But I would by Jap anyday....the Previa is well amde, reliable and will maintain it's value, and it has a popular following, and stacks of after market options so you can be picky.

PrettyboyTim

We have a Toyota Corolla Verso. It's got seven seats, although you'll have trouble fitting adults in the rearmost ones. It's nice in that it's not huge (good for London), but will easily seat our family (two adults, four children). However, with both rear seats up, you end up with about enough luggage space for a hockey stick, therefore we have a roof box that we use for the once or twice a year when we need to carry a lot. All five rear seats can be folded down to provide a nice flat rear space should you need it for schlepping big things around.

I like it, but then I don't drive it much, and having only passed my test three years ago, I don't have a great deal to compare it to (apart from our previous car, a normal Toyota Corolla). My Wife, who is much more of a driver than me is also pretty fond of it, and uses it quite bit for her business.

Anyway - a nice car - can carry a fair amount of cargo or a fair amount of people but not both at the same time. Luckily the seats go up and down very easily so we've found it plenty flexible enough for our needs.

Big Bren

If you want cheap,second-hand reliability with all the bells and whistles and an excellent engine, then you could follow the surfers and get a Maxda Bongo. The Friendee version comes with a raising roof with a bed in.

Seconded, with only the minor amendment that it's a Mazda, not Maxda. ;)

Cheap as chips, great reliability and a striking resemblance to the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo would make the Bongo my choice too.

Bren

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Buy a Transit and screw some deckchairs down in the back and you have a nice cheap MPV that you can fold the seats down for when you go to Ikea.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seconded Toyota Previa. It's a superb vehicle, it comes with sliding doors both sides and for such a big car it's a real pleasure to drive.

Noodley has the right idea - particularly for the France jaunts! Beautiful car with lots of toys. FIL in France has one. We used to have the ordinaire Scenic but sold that earlier this year, prior to going to the South of France with bikes and stuff. Ended up buying a Renault Trafic Crew Van -in black, 6 seats, room for bikes galore in the back too. Had ten miles on the clock when I drove off the forecourt - a very comfortable drive. Good for taking the Cyclechat band to gigs! ;)

Have a look at the Citroen C4 Picasso Grand 7 seater (it just slides of the tongue). I've got one of these on order and I should get it in the next few weeks. The 1.6HDi has pretty good mpg (49mpg I think) and has reasonable oomph. The windscreen is huge with great visibility and safety is second to none.

Make sure you get a good discount if you go new.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Guys

Like the look of the Bongo! Shame they're no longer made, same with the Previa (Nice looking motor). Have even considered one of the new VW Combi-vans that are being made again in Brazil, but they're just too pricey.

To be honest, I'm not good with cars, s/h always seems a bit of a risk, 3 year warranties seem like a good idea.

Magnatom, your Picasso Grand is also a lovely machine, I keep going back to look but as it's a tad smaller than Galaxy size, I'm just not sure...but I like it. Citroen website however is slower than an asthmatic snail. Pray tell, what deal did you manage Magnatom?

The Seat Alhambra looks like it's getting a make-over soon, a new basic 1.9 Diesel version is now down to (just:sad:) 16.6K. Seems reasonable value...am going to have a look too.

AAAAaaarghhhh

Fab Foodie said:
Thanks Guys

Magnatom, your Picasso Grand is also a lovely machine, I keep going back to look but as it's a tad smaller than Galaxy size, I'm just not sure...but I like it. Citroen website however is slower than an asthmatic snail. Pray tell, what deal did you manage Magnatom?

I managed to get about £2300 off the price of a 1.6HDi VTR+. I have a link to a great site on my work computer which tells you how to deal with car salesmen. I'll send it tomorrow.

Top Bottom