What Mud Guards for a Tricross?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boldhead

Regular
Hi all, A few weeks ago bike I got myself a 2011 specialized tricross. I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advise what mud guards to get. I don't want something to close to the wheels in case I choose a muddy bike path to ride down. Should I go for a full mud guard or something thats smaller like you'd use on a mountain bike. Theres just some many out there. What do you all use?
Any help would be brill,
Thanks.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I have a cross bike and during the winter used SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, have 35mm wide tyres on and give me plenty of room, they come in differant sizes and colours and once set up pretty easy to remove or put back on although maybe not as quick as clip on type guards

Norm

I have a cross bike and during the winter used SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, have 35mm wide tyres on and give me plenty of room, they come in differant sizes and colours and once set up pretty easy to remove or put back on although maybe not as quick as clip on type guards
Pretty much this for me too. I've left the supporting arms pretty long, so they sit around 3cm from the tyre. I do have toe overlap issues like that but there is a bunch of space between guard and tyre for anything that I do pick up off-road.

That said, if I'm planning something very soggy away from the tarmac, I'll whip the guards off and just use an MTB-type seat post mounted deflector on the back like this.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got SKS guards on my Tricross, they look great except that the two LH stays had to bend sharply to get around the disc brake calipers and I needed to bend the bracket and fit some spacers on the bolt at the bottom bracket so as to keep the rear guard running parallel with the tyre and looking smart.

Top Bottom