What needs changing on bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
The shallower descents, yes. The important thing on steeper descents is to slow down enough rather than to speed up. I have hit 90 km/hr freewheeling without a fairing. That is about as fast as I dare go!

Very true. I have never reached that sort of speed, and even on a wide clear straight road, I'm not sure I would be happy to. The fastest I have reached is about 43mph (68kph).

But yes, on most downhills other than pretty shallow ones, you really don't need anything to increase your speed.

presta

Guru
Is that on non-e bikes too?
I've definitely seen an ABS system for bikes, and I don't recall it being on an e-bike, but it might have been possibly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The shallower descents, yes. The important thing on steeper descents is to slow down enough rather than to speed up. I have hit 90 km/hr freewheeling without a fairing. That is about as fast as I dare go!

On a lot of my hillier rides the descents are often not much quicker than the ascents, as steep wiggly Kent lanes with high hedges and dodgy surfaces need a great deal of respect.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Just having ridden three different bikes , one thing that needs changing is that the priority for gearing should be to get easily up hills rather than going fast. It would help many people get started on cycling, and may account for the many purchases of e bikes.

Good call!

Punkawallah

Über Member
Just having ridden three different bikes , one thing that needs changing is that the priority for gearing should be to get easily up hills rather than going fast. It would help many people get started on cycling, and may account for the many purchases of e bikes.

1984, Suntour introduces its 13-32 six speed freewheel. With a 36/48 ring it will get you up most hills.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well you wouldn’t be getting off halfway on the pretext of a photo 😂
That climb has a lot of 15% before the ramp in the photo which is about 100 metres at 25%. That means my legs are already tired by the time I get to the really steep bit. I only manage to ride all the way up that about 50% of the time so I was worried that I wouldn't make it.

If you look carefully you can see that I was still using Look pedals then. I had done an emergency dismount on that ramp on an earlier ride and my Look cleat slipped on the road surface so I almost faceplanted!

I was struggling on the day I took the photo and worried about the faceplanting risk so I gave up sooner than I needed to so I had more control when doing so. I thought I might as well take a photo before the walk of shame...

These days I use mountain bike type SPD pedals on all of my bikes so I no longer have slippery exposed cleats to worry about and can climb to the point of exhaustion. I came close to failure on today's ride when tackling a steep climb that was new to me. THIS ONE up from Rishworth. I went round a RH bend and was faced with a short, steep cobbled ramp. I only just made it!

Another post said the rider. He is correct, because IMO there are too many luddite cyclist wed to the 1890 DF so called safety bike. They wont admit there are other types of frames and number of wheels that better serve many cyclist. Time does march on.

Tom B

Guru
Just had another think.

Chipless / scrape proof easy wash paint.

Having just sat and watched a chap secure his bike packing assemble in Blackpool Town-centre. Some sort of locking device that would lock the wheels (not through the spokes) and lock the cranks up / slip the freehub into freewheel and was operated by a single key that didn't get gummed up with gritty crump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom