What next for Froome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
The discussion seems to have gone from What next for Froome to Sky overall. Froome should expand his own horizons, he has made his mark on the TdF and may see further success in La Vuelta, so it would be good to see him in other races through the season and early on in the year. As Merckx said "he's very good of course, but I raced all year round". For Sky, with the budget and line up they have it would be almost criminal for them NOT to be a presence at all WT races (as in contender for the win) and lesser known ones too.
All WT teams have an obligation to start WT events. The decision on which riders is their own. Most teams tend to have a classics squad who do some of the slightly less known one day races and short stage races. The GC squad concentrate on major tours. This is how a team wins races and keeps sponsors happy, which keeps the team and support staff in jobs.
The comments earlier from Eddy Merckx are all well and good, coming from one of the world's best riders of his era. An era when preparation was key and people sometimes simply refused to be tested. He was still brilliant and dominant, but of his time. Today is just a bit different and takes a different approach.

oldroadman

Veteran
Not sure what you'll make of the rear view of his piles...
Coin_jCVYAAi0CW.jpg
I remember that feeling too well! There was a well known British pro rider (not at WT level) who used to bleed at almost every race. But he toughed it out and had some great results. Shorts didn't last too long though. :ohmy:

All WT teams have an obligation to start WT events. The decision on which riders is their own. Most teams tend to have a classics squad who do some of the slightly less known one day races and short stage races. The GC squad concentrate on major tours. This is how a team wins races and keeps sponsors happy, which keeps the team and support staff in jobs.
The comments earlier from Eddy Merckx are all well and good, coming from one of the world's best riders of his era. An era when preparation was key and people sometimes simply refused to be tested. He was still brilliant and dominant, but of his time. Today is just a bit different and takes a different approach.
That is not what I meant, I do of course know WT teams must field a team at WT races, I meant that with Sky's roster they should always have a meaningful presence not just participate.

Top Bottom