What next for Froome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I read a comment under a piece on the Guardian website earlier that suggested riders should be capped at three Tour wins to give others a chance. First thought was what a ridiculous suggestion, but then I remembered that Eddy Merckx took a year off from the Tour in 1973 for precisely this reason. (Of course, he just won everything else instead that year. And came back to win the Tour again the following year.)

Anyway, it got me thinking, what should Chris Froome's next target be? More Tour wins or something else?

Clearly he has unfinished business with the Vuelta, so he needs to have a proper stab at that one year.

It would be great to see him giving the Giro a go as well, but he would probably find that a struggle with the cold and rain. But maybe that's a good thing - it would maybe bring him down a bit closer to everyone else's level.

Would also be great to see him make a serious attempt at winning a Monument - one area of achievement where he still falls short of Nibali. The Lombardia would probably be a good one for him to aim for.

The Rainbow jersey would make a nice addition to his wardrobe too, but of course that would depend very much on finding a course to suit.

British national road race title? It would win over a lot of critics, perhaps, but are they really worth winning over? And the timing is never going to be good while he's concentrating on the Tour.

vickster

Legendary Member
He's riding the London-Surrey Classic on Sunday :smile:

I'm not sure what he's got in his armoury and all else pales in comparison to say, 5 tour wins. Nibali would probably swop his 3 GT wins for three Tours.

Buddfox

Veteran
It's possible he aims for a Giro-Vuelta double, but it's hard not to aim for the Tour. Sky have too much invested not to have their best rider focused on the biggest event on the calendar.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think he could win the Vuelta as well as the tour, given the right course and a fair wind. Maybe even this year. He has a good shot at the Rio ITT this year especially now Dumoulin is iffy.
World Champs, only if there's a MTF which has been mooted apparently, possibly in Colombia.
LBL?
He said after his first TdF win that he wanted to win 5 or 6 and I suspect that's his first priority.
Winning the Nationals won't mean much to someone who has barely ever raced in Britain, and never lived here. It means more to the Stannards, Cavs and Thomnas's of this country.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The talk like a football pundit thread is >>>>>>>>>>
Well, you know, the boy Froomey done good, you know, like he couldn't have done no better.
The lad from Colombia, shudda got in an early tackle to let Froomeydawgy know he woz there, but he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo. Or a cow's arse.
He's gotta do better and don't even talk to me abaht them French geezers.

Booyaa

Veteran
Unfortunately (for me at least) I think he will just concentrate on winning as many TdF's as he can. Would prefer to see him focus on other races but he isn't big on history of cycling so to him the the TdF eclipses everything else by a mile so wants to get as many as he can, which is fair enough, he looks pretty unstoppable at the moment on Le Tour.

He peaked a couple of months ago, when he rode with the best. He's had to make do with a little touring ride around France for the last 3 weeks, and it's a slippery slope from now on.

Top Bottom