What next for Froome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Come again?
6365139c7347104ea308b54681648f37.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
His two crashes this year show just how precariously close he came to repeating 2014 - and how difficult it is to string together a run of TDF wins. In a sport where the five time winners are held in such supremely high regard he would be crazy to take a gap year from the event. He simply has to keep going at it to grab at least another couple of maillot jaunes before bad luck, age, or stiffer competition start to become an obstacle.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
five time winners are held in such supremely high regard

Yeah, but not just for their Tour wins. Even if Froome does go on to win five, he'll still be a long way from matching Merckx and Hinault. I don't want to sound like I'm doing down his achievements, because winning three Tours is incredible, but he's some way from becoming one of the true greats of the sport.

He has shown another side to his racing this year - the escape with Sagan and the downhill attack are signs that he is growing in confidence and self-belief, and that he has more natural racing instinct than perhaps he has been given credit for in the past. I'd like to see him turn that into a more diverse palmarès.

Will be really interesting to see how he goes in the Vuelta. I think it's plausible that he could win it. Seven summit finishes, which might suit Quintana or Chaves better, but also a 39km flat time trial...

KneesUp

Guru
Yeah, but not just for their Tour wins. Even if Froome does go on to win five, he'll still be a long way from matching Merckx and Hinault. I don't want to sound like I'm doing down his achievements, because winning three Tours is incredible, but he's some way from becoming one of the true greats of the sport.

I agree. I know it's a different sport these days and so on, but it seems to me that Indurain is nowhere near as highly thought of as the other five times winners, Hinault and Merckx. Even his nickname isn't as good. I put this down to Indurain 'only' winning 5 TdFs and 2 Giros.

Hinault, on the other hand, has won five TdFs, including all the individual jerseys, 3 Giros, 2 Vueltas, 1 World Championship Road Race, Liege-Bastogne-Liege twice and loads of others. Like Merckx, he did a lot of this after serious injury (Hinault to his knee, Merckx to his hip). Merckx's record makes even Hinault's look a bit patchy, of course. I think also it's about how they rode - Indurain took time in time trials and then generally maintained that lead in the other stages. Hinault seemed to be looking to take time every stage he rode, which was much more exciting. I never same Merckx ride, but I gather he was the same, only more so.

Top Bottom