What next for Froome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd guess there are a lot of armchair Tour fans in Britain who'd struggle to name another top-ranking event, but I couldn't imagine that being the case on the continent. If that's right, it would follow that Britain puts the Tour on a higher pedestal than the rest of Europe.

If you take Anquetil as being the first rider of the modern age (reasonable?) then disregarding all that went before, I don't think many would dispute that the two greatest riders are Merckx and Hinault. Who's third? I'd say De Vlaeminck, yet he barely had a relationship with the Tour at all.

Whilst acknowledging you said Anquetil as the first rider of the modern age, personally I would have Anquetil himself battling with Il Campionissimo, Fausto Coppi for third spot. Only IMHO, very subjective.

See Froome going for Tour victories, sport evolves, time moves on.

Chris "Froomy" Froome really needs a better nickname. I suggest Chris "The Fox" Froome. Is it cos he is wiley and cunning? No, it is because he a clear and present danger to chickens.

Hont

Guru
we know that the performance of the elite level cyclists is on a par with those known to have used EPO

We know precisely the reverse. That the performances are not at the same level...

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...s-ever-up-alpe-dhuez-how-many-doping-related/

So the last two times the Tour went up Alpe d'Huez only Quintana got within 4 minutes 42 seconds of the record. In fact Quintana is the only rider to even threaten a sub 40 minute climb in the last three tour ascents.

Hont

Guru
Nibali would probably swap his 4 GT wins for four Tours.
FTFY

I'm not sure he would. The Giro is probably a more important race for an Italian than the Tour. Moot point though. It's not currently an option under UCI rules to swap titles ;). Although I did see on Eurosport Greg Lemond ask Sean Kelly if he could swap one of his world championships for one of Sean's Paris Roubaix wins.

KneesUp

Guru
We know precisely the reverse. That the performances are not at the same level...

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...s-ever-up-alpe-dhuez-how-many-doping-related/

So the last two times the Tour went up Alpe d'Huez only Quintana got within 4 minutes 42 seconds of the record. In fact Quintana is the only rider to even threaten a sub 40 minute climb in the last three tour ascents.
And his time up AX3 in 2013 was 3rd in the all time list. http://www.outsideonline.com/1920106/analysing-froomes-performance

As I said earlier, perhaps the worst thing about cheating is it makes you doubt everything.

Hont

Guru
And his time up AX3 in 2013 was 3rd in the all time list. http://www.outsideonline.com/1920106/analysing-froomes-performance
One rider with numbers 2 and 3 outside of the top 20 on a (much shorter climb) that has only been used 5 times. If anything that backs up a decline in overall performance even with such a small sample size, as it is only Froome we're talking about. I know you can cherry pick, but I chose Alpe D'Huez because it has been used 15 times since 1990.

As I said earlier, perhaps the worst thing about cheating is it makes you doubt everything.
That is certainly true.

I'm sure Froome would fit comfortably in the back of a portacabin with a microphone in his hand 'working' for Eurosport.

Seriously, though, to cap a rider at three wins is absurd.

Imagine if Bjorn Borg or Roger Federer were told to stay away from Wimbledon for a few years to let some crap other tennis player take the trophy.

Or ringing Alex Ferguson at United's peak and ask him to take his team for a money-spinning tour to Asia for a couple of seasons to let another club have a chance at the league title. And I know Man U were instructed by the FA to compete in some 'world club cup' instead of playing and FA Cup game (and defend the trophy from the year before).

Anyway, it'd be a loss of earnings, team sponsorship and a whole host of other things.

Let the big boys be allowed to play.

Killiekevin

I think Froome (and Sky too) value the Tour more than the other GTs. Mainly i think because of the profile and the way it justifies the finances that sky have put into the team.

The problem is I think Froome and anyone nowadays will struggle to win the tour and another GT due to the fact the Tour is in the middle of them. I would like to see him sacrifice the tour maybe in 2018 and try and Giro Vuelta double.

KneesUp

Guru
Well, to be fair, it is literally more valuable than any other race - not just in terms of prize money but in worldwide brand exposure for sponsors.
Absolutely - for many years it was the only cycle race you could watch on TV in the UK, and remains one of only two that are free to air (ITV4 still has the Vuelta I presume?)

Look at the stage from 1991 I posted earlier. The differences look pretty obvious to me, and that's not even the height of the EPO era.
It's the recovery from the attacks as well as the ease, which is typified by Indurain's Sunday riding style, you half expect him to stop for a flask of tea.

I'd forgotten about that Castorama kit though.

Top Bottom