What next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I have just finished LEJOG and even before I started my OH was asking what will I do next. I think she likes having control of the TV remote. I have seen France en velo route from St Malo to Nice a similar distance or just heard about Eurovelo 12. Has anyone experience of these? I would be interested in your thoughts, thanks in advance.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've ridden Eurovelo 12 the North Sea Coast Route from Boston to somewhere east of Norwich, parts of the Suffolk and London bits, Dunkerque to Bredene, Nieuwvliet to Vlissingen and Domburg to Nordwijkerhout. It's definitely varied, from brilliant fast tarmac cycle routes to sand tracks - and contrary to what you might think, not all the sand tracks are in the UK!

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I've ridden Eurovelo 12 the North Sea Coast Route from Boston to somewhere east of Norwich, parts of the Suffolk and London bits, Dunkerque to Bredene, Nieuwvliet to Vlissingen and Domburg to Nordwijkerhout. It's definitely varied, from brilliant fast tarmac cycle routes to sand tracks - and contrary to what you might think, not all the sand tracks are in the UK!
Would you recommend it? I was thinking of the Ostend to Copenhagen part and maybe onwards from there to the fjords

mjr

Would you recommend it? I was thinking of the Ostend to Copenhagen part and maybe onwards from there to the fjords
Yes. It's an experience and there are some lovely bits on the Dutch section I've done - I rode inland to Bruges and Sluis rather than do the rest of the Belgian bit of EV12 - the section into Ostend was fun, but very crowded with tourists so not a place you can get up much speed. Don't go expecting mountains, though! Rolling hills around Rockanje is as severe as it gets.

EV12 crosses to Sweden some way north of Copenhagen, but I expect there's something connecting to the summer flight route (or something like that) into Copenhagen.

DanZac

How about all the way round the coast, it's only about 5K miles (although that figure might be totaly wrong) so once youv'e rode into fitness up one side the rest will be easy.

And as @User14044 says dont plan on stopping at either end as there both horrible desolate places inhabited only by people stupid enough to think that going to the other end is a good idea.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
How about all the way round the coast, it's only about 5K miles (although that figure might be totaly wrong) so once youv'e rode into fitness up one side the rest will be easy.

And as @User14044 says dont plan on stopping at either end as there both horrible desolate places inhabited only by people stupid enough to think that going to the other end is a good idea.
My OH thinks I will do this, especially after reading the book 'One man and his bike' agree about JOG, not the prettiest of places.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
How about LEJOGLE? I did LEJOG in June 2011 and felt really fit towards the end, so decided to do the double the year after. A tip.....if you decide to do it, don't plan to spend more than 1 rest day in John O'Groats.......it is the most boring place in the world.
I did wonder about a JOGLE with a mate who wished he had joined me for LEJOG. Agree about the two ends.

A few years ago, I rode from Durness to Dover, I did try to use off road routes as much as possible which made for some interesting and variety of scenery, and was well worth the effort of researching suitable routes through the mountains of the Scotland end.

mjr

A few years ago, I rode from Durness to Dover,
OK - why Durness not Cape Wrath?

Lowestoft-Ardnamurchan (Easternmost-Westernmost on this island) is another one I've heard of, probably because I'm not far off the shortest route.

Top Bottom