Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Gallery

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • Downloads

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Chat

Votes: 46 24.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
I feel there is a gap in the forum for those engaging in utility and leisure cycling.
Commuting is a very specific, travel to and from work, but some posts presently in Commuting are of general cycling interest and these would not be read by those who want to avoid posts on the cut and thrust of (city) commuting.
I would see a utility and leisure section being of interest to those who cycle to shops, meetings, hobbies etc., and who fit in an hour or two of leisure cycling on a summer evening, but are not involved in the frenetic home to work run.
Discussion on the pros and cons of the various cargo bikes available would be just one example of a topic ideally suited to Utility and Leisure.

+1
There is plenty of cycling going on that's not touring/commuting/racing/beginners related ...
There is "Road rides, Audax & Sportives", but that doesn't seem to hit the spot of general cycling for getting from A to B (where neither A nor B is work ...).

Not sure this helps with de-cluttering, but it's the one mainstream cycling mode (?) I always felt wasn't represented properly. (but special sub-sections cater for the, dare I say it, relative "niche market" of fixies, recumbents etc.)

I assume merging and/or re-naming some sections would cause an uproar, and SOMEBODY would have to sort all the existin threads into the new categories :laugh: ... perhaps evolution is better than revolution.

My 2 p,

T

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
It's a good point and I'm open to a reshuffle if it will have future benefits.

Feel free to make suggestions - however odd or unsuitable you might think they would appear, because a bunch of ideas can often lead to a breakthrough and if we're missing a key element of cycling then we need to fill the gap.

What about a simplification of the beginners forum to just plain 'Beginners' then adding a new forum, 'General Cycling' to cover "all the rest" that aren't already covered?

Let me have a few suggestions :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hadn't noticed 'downloads' before... it's quite good in there... gives you all sorts of ideas for rides and so on...

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Okay, well I can add a General Cycling forum - no probs.

Might be an idea to reorganise some of the forums too and put the more commonly used ones nearer the top.

I'll have a think and whizz them around a bit.

Cheers,

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Feel free to make suggestions - however odd or unsuitable you might think they would appear

Here's an odd and unsuitable suggestion - quit tinkering! Despite what marketeers would have you believe, people like familiarity.

PhunkPilot

Renegade of Phunk!
I (as a new cyclist) Really like how things in the forum are arranged. I try my upmost to aim any topics where I feel I will get the help or advice I need.

As a relative new comer I was immediately drawn to and have oft (lurked there) used the beginners section I was slightly less intimidated about posting there initially.

I now find myself more often in the 'commuting' area mainly due to the greater activity within. I have got to know and recognise a lot more posters there and feel I get excellent responses and feed Back from them when I ask advice etc.

Also interestingly enough because of my greater familiarity in commuting I have grown to recognise and trust specific individuals input so on occasion I may post in what is considered the 'wrong' place because I know certain members will probably reply! Does this make sense?

I think a general cycling are would be a great addition.

I've even dipped my toe into the chatroom once or twice now and it was good fun.

I think Shaun does a great job its nice to think you want and value our input Shaun. (lots of forums certainly don't)

Hope some of my inane ramblings help !!!!(sorry)

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I've barely visited since the overhaul for two main reasons. *Cheers in the background...*

Firstly, the forum software won't work properly on my antiquated browser at work in terms of formatting my posts. I can't put in carriage returns, even when I've looked at the code on other people's posts and tried to copy+paste the formatting, but to no avail.

Secondly, I miss the old Subscribed Threads page - I could easily keep abreast of what interested me. The new My Content option is too cluttered (or at least was last time I looked), with no (apparent) way of managing it.

As an aside, I find the new software a bit variable in its formatting, depending on viewing medium/browser. Drop-down menus and the like can render the page in different ways, but don't make the whole site unusable.

Overall, I feel that forums work due to the members and the content they produce.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Here's an odd and unsuitable suggestion - quit tinkering! Despite what marketeers would have you believe, people like familiarity.

Yes, and they also like simplicity too - and the one thing this new software isn't, is simple. Don't get me wrong, it is very comprehensive and offers a lot of options, but ... too many for most people?

Hope some of my inane ramblings help

Thank you - they definitely do. :smile:

I've barely visited since the overhaul for two main reasons. *Cheers in the background...*

Firstly, the forum software won't work properly on my antiquated browser at work in terms of formatting my posts. I can't put in carriage returns, even when I've looked at the code on other people's posts and tried to copy+paste the formatting, but to no avail.

Secondly, I miss the old Subscribed Threads page - I could easily keep abreast of what interested me. The new My Content option is too cluttered (or at least was last time I looked), with no (apparent) way of managing it.

As an aside, I find the new software a bit variable in its formatting, depending on viewing medium/browser. Drop-down menus and the like can render the page in different ways, but don't make the whole site unusable.

Overall, I feel that forums work due to the members and the content they produce.

I agree about the members making the site work - the people are the key - and we have a very good sense of community here at CC that I'd like to maintain and foster, but if the software isn't "working" for people and they find it awkward to use, or the layout is difficult to get on with, or they can't find the things they commonly use, etc. then it takes some (or a lot) of the shine off've CC and makes for fewer posts and less content. I want to get people more involved and if the software is inhibiting posting, I need to know.

On that note, I've had quite a lot of feedback from people about this new software being "clunky" and I find myself asking whether the move - overall - was a good one or not; and whether we continue with putting time into this software trying to make it work how we want, or whether we consider a simpler, easy-to-use, more accessible alternative.

The post editor, which is a key part of the site and used throughout for posts, blogs, PMs etc. gives inconsistent results. That in itself, is quite a bug bear. Then there's Watched Topics. Where do you go to find your watched content? (answers on a postcard please). First unread post often plonks you in the middle of a thread, nowhere near your first unread post - and once you've entered a thread, the whole thing is marked read. Newlines are added to posted content without you even trying (as is HTML sometimes), and when you go back to edit them out, more stuff is randomly changed. How the sorting for View New Content works is a mystery to me, and it often displays the same thread over and over, just because it has had several new replies. The error system isn't very graceful and the error codes are only of use to the software developers. The user control panel is cumbersome and the categories don't make sense for some of the options - finding them isn't so much intuitive as a find-and-seek game.

All of these are things that may be fixed in coming updates, but they all have an impact on how people use the site and add a layer of intricacy that wasn't there before.

I've got to think ahead and plan for growth, and a part of that is to review where we are now and whether - going forward over the next few years - this is the platform to take us there?

I've got to figure out whether the "bells and whistles" have been worth it (or are even wanted by the membership)? or whether a return to a simpler, easy-to-use forum system would be more preferred and be better all-round for the future of CC?

Keep the feedback coming ... :smile:

Cheers,

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I feel there are a few issues with how it works ... I think a number of people (myself included) don't like change ... so I'm not sure I want to try yet another board. I've generally got used to this one and apart from the niggles (and I usually moan about those in feedback) I'm satisfied with this version of CC. I think we should give this one more of a chance especially with some changes coming in the pipeline.

One of the feelings I get from you is that you listen to us and react to our problems and keep us informed. Do you feel that you have that kind of relationship with the providers of this board software ... even if it takes a while for them to develop the fix?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
One of the feelings I get from you is that you listen to us and react to our problems and keep us informed. Do you feel that you have that kind of relationship with the providers of this board software ... even if it takes a while for them to develop the fix?

Yes, absolutely, they are open to their customer base and listen and react very well - a pretty good quality in a software company, and one that was severely lacking at the "new" vBulletin (and a part of the reason I moved away from it.)

I have a slightly different take, I suppose, in that I have to administer it all. In going from a simple forum that was stable, settled, and hadn't been modernised in quite some time, to a whizz bang does-it-all platform, I've taken on a bigger job and one that needs constant attention and work.

I don't mind the work and I love what we've all achieved with CycleChat (thank goodness you're a bunch of "sticker's" and have hung in there!!), but it is a lot harder than it was previously, and due to the constant updates from IPS it is a long-term job keeping on top of it all. Maybe after the seasonal break I can sit down and put a firm plan together to move forward with. Give myself some focus.

My announcement about reducing the number of skins goes some way towards reducing the load, and I'm sure that once the key "niggles" are sorted I'll be less bothered about installing all the very latest upgrades and move to a more gradual path; it does seem as if people are using the new features, and I expect that if I produce some "how to" guides, more people might give them a try.

I just have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that things would run smoother with a simpler platform, but then it might work against us and people will miss the "features" and not like the new platform. :wacko:

That's why I want as much feedback as I can get really ... if people are getting used to the new site and are generally happy with it, then there's no point in changing for the sake of it; and I'd be much happier putting my energies into things people actually want, rather than what I think they want ... :blush:

Thank you all for sharing your views ... keep them coming.

Cheers,

frank9755

Cyclist
I use the forums. I went into the chat room once and I've looked at the odd gallery and maybe read a blog about twice, but if the non-forum stuff wasn't there I'd not miss it.

I thought if I scrolled through here I would find someone else saying what I thought and this is it.

Not in anyway a criticsm of Shaun, but I find the hierarchy of the forums rather "bitty". I generally restrict myself to certain boards, and then find I havnt answered questions that were put to me in response to posts in those parts I only rarely visit

What about the radical solution of sweeping away all the artificial forum boundaries and just having threads in one list? OK - separate out 'for sale' items, but not much else. Combine that with the ability to have more threads per page (eg 100 - and while I am at it, the ability to view more messages within a thread on a single page too!), and also a coding system so people can tag the thread with labels (eg 'audax', technical', 'touring', etc) for potential filtering.

I've done work over the last decade with clients who have been setting up forums and a common message that I've heard from experts is that a key pitfall to avoid in designing a forum is to fragment it too much (as long as there are decent search tools, and they seem to work ok).

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Combine that with the ability to have more threads per page (eg 100 - and while I am at it, the ability to view more messages within a thread on a single page too!), and also a coding system so people can tag the thread with labels (eg 'audax', technical', 'touring', etc) for potential filtering.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to review the forums categories in the New Year.

The default number of posts and topics can be adjusted for each individual member in your user settings:

http://www.cyclechat.net/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums

I hope that goes some way towards improving things for you. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Top Bottom