Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Gallery

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • Downloads

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Chat

Votes: 46 24.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
People rarely come into the chat room to ask questions tbh, newbies tend to join and leave... the chat room is good for the rubbish you wouldn't really want to keep in thread format! ;)

I should add - that by newbies I mean people joining to ask questions rather than just new users, we have some new users that have joined and stayed. Makes a brilliant change from the boring forum format.

Davidc

Guru
The forums and occasionally the chat room are all I use.

I'm finding that I have less time at the moment than in the past to spend here but that could change back around. Still don't suppose I'd use more of the site though

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming.

I hadn't considered the impact of the "cycle-cafe" domain, so will reinvestigate putting it into use, but I do remember that when I switched it was an issue with this software that it couldn't operate from multiple domains.

It is busier on an evening, so that might have had a greater effect than I'd reckoned for.

I've got things as well optimised as I can on the server and the site runs really fast again, so going into the new year I will be looking at cleaning up the layout to make it easier to use.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I can cope fine with the new forum but I would say it is rather too busy and complicated for new entrants.

I enjoy the Chatroom immensely and would be sad to see it diminished or even lost in a revamp. I guess I do spend a fair bit of time in there but my post count is still pretty positive - it's just that I spend too much time in the place in general!

Sorry we don't cross paths so often TC these days but P&L is just to scary for a timid fellow like me! Believe me, it's my loss :smooch:

For some reason the Cafe has become a bit stagnant and I'm not certain why, although it did coincide with the big changeover.
I think it was simply a coincidence and a few of the more vociferous posters moving on or being moved on. It needs a bit of left field thinkers to keep it vibrant.

It's us that make the forum, Shaun simply and selflessly provides the platform, so it's down to ALL of us to make the place lively, contoversial and fun. Stop sitting back and waiting to be entertained and start some threads of your own.

Marinyork suggested Cafe should be more prominent and nearer the top which seemed a good move to emme

In summary, Shaun, I think simplification would be good with some sections ditched and others consolidated.

Please don't ditch the chatroom though! Noodley and I would have nothing to do but read and that would never do and, more to the point, my online flirting would be curtailed and that would be a disaster.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Interesting, the gallery votes are more than I was expecting!!! TC will be pleased that her efforts are appreciated ... lol

Chat is obviously popular too, but then I think it offers a quick and easy place to shoot the breeze in real-time.

What about the layout? Does it need some cleaning up? Bit of a reorganisation, or thinning out a little?

Keep the feedback coming please, it's really good for me to know what you all want for/from your site, and gives me specific things to focus on that I will know are worth the most effort / highest priority.

Thanks,

potsy

Rambler
The best bit of the new stuff for me is the status update section, some real nutters stars on there
biggrin.gif

Surprised that the new gallery sections don't seem to be getting used yet, I christened the 'pets' one but there's been no others last time I looked.

Don't go in the chatroom, mainly because my 1 finger typing is very slow and I would never keep up in realtime conversation
biggrin.gif

Still a few niggles with the software, New content duplication and smiley issues mainly but I certainly use the Forums more than ever now, can't remember what I used the computer for before I discovered CC.
thumbsup.png

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 14

Norm

Feel free to add general feedback here too, as I'm keen to understand if the software move has been a positive or negative thing (on the whole) for the site.

We're less busy than we used to be, which could be down to a number of factors, including spreading the content of the site across different applications/features, but without people letting me know I can only guess.

I suppose the key question is - would you like to see a return to a simpler forums software, without the bells and whistles? A "back to basics" move if you will?

Has the new software made it more difficult for you to access CycleChat? Do you find the layout particularly awkward to use? Is it all a bit "too much"?

Is it worth considering a move to a simpler platform, or do you want to keep what we've got and work on it some more to make it better?

Let me know ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I wrote...
We also, about 3 years ago, created a CMS site (through phpBB) which created a complete monster which is now only manageable by database geeks. Previously, anyone with a knowledge of HTML (like me!) could create, upload, amend or delete anything on the site. After implementing a CMS "solution", we were handcuffed into whatever the database developers thought was the right thing.

Turned out that our mistake was not realising that the developer's definition of "solution" was "something which creates problems".

Our problem on that site was that the admin team (which was me and a mate in Southampton) knew about HTML but we had absolutely no clues at all on how to manage a content management system, so we had to buy a database wizz to set it up and sort it out.

I don't know whether the IP Board CMS is itself easier with better management tools, or whether you are that database wizz, Shaun, but the switch was smoother and faster than I expected and nearly all the issues have been ironed out. Of course, many of those issues were concerns of forumites trying to get the new software to look and feel like the old software, which makes you wonder "what's the bloody point", but such is life as a benevolent dictator. :thumbsup:

As others have said, I have places to post pix, I use "social networking tools", I have my own site, I don't want anything other than a forum. I don't blog (anyone who would want to read Norm's life story must be so deranged the last thing I'd want is to let them read my life story :ohmy: :biggrin: ), I don't use chat, I don't need a gallery... etc

This software works for me, it's quick and easy to use without having to cogitate on what code to use to post links or smilies or whatever. Then again, for most everything I do here, the old software did that too.

I still miss the old "groups" thing, though.

potsy

Rambler

The groups have been back ages norm, you've just not been invited
tongue.gif

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Chat is obviously popular too, but then I think it offers a quick and easy place to shoot the breeze in real-time.

What about the layout? Does it need some cleaning up? Bit of a reorganisation, or thinning out a little?

Hi Shaun

This was touched on earlier in the thread by Rich P but I was thinking about the sheer number of forums. Might it be an idea to reduce some of the more Niche catagories and consolodate into larger (and hopefully) more vibrant forums?

As for the layout of the new CC - I personally like it and think it's an improvement over the original (which was still good by the way).

Cheers,
SD

Speicher

Vice Admiral
As others have said, I would very much miss the Chat room. I try to limit my time in there, as there are other things that need doing sometimes.

It tends to be good jokey banter, with some sensible conversations. Very rarely have I seen questions being asked, as the main forum is more useful for that.

A few weeks ago, I went onto a Sewing Forum :whistle: and wondered why the layout looked familiar. It was like Cycle Chat used to be, and it looked very dated. I much prefer the new format here.

I appreciate all your hard work and the long hours you put into the forum, often very late at night. Thank you

BlueDog

Veteran

I too also miss the old Social Groups thing. It used to be really useful for keeping in touch with the locals and arranging rides - I know we can post in social rides or PM, but it's not quite the same.

I also think it used to be easier to manage "subscribed posts" or threads or whatever they were called. I've never used the very top tool bar (one which reads "Home What's New Today's Posts” etc.) which makes me wonder if it's really needed or not (or perhaps I'm missing something?).

But overall, having got used to it, I think the new forum is a big plus and appreciate the amount of effort that went into it and then the tuning/bug fixing thereafter. And I have a New Year’s resolution to enter chat mode in 2011
smile.gif

PS. Oops; Just tried the "Directory" icon along the top toolbar and got a " [#10L045] Sorry, IP.Links is temporarily offline"

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
He he ... yes the links are still on my to-do list :smile:

This is all good stuff, thank you - and it makes me wonder why I didn't ask before?!!

The software developer is promising some long awaited fixes in 3.2, along with a new editor (the bit you use to write your posts) that should eliminate all the HTML code and smiley issues.

If anyone has any specific suggestions about forums we could merge/close/add then please let me know, as it will all add to the overall plan for 2011.

Keep it coming, it's good to hear.

Cheers,

snorri

Legendary Member
Bit of a reorganisation, or thinning out a little?
I feel there is a gap in the forum for those engaging in utility and leisure cycling.
Commuting is a very specific, travel to and from work, but some posts presently in Commuting are of general cycling interest and these would not be read by those who want to avoid posts on the cut and thrust of (city) commuting.
I would see a utility and leisure section being of interest to those who cycle to shops, meetings, hobbies etc., and who fit in an hour or two of leisure cycling on a summer evening, but are not involved in the frenetic home to work run.
Discussion on the pros and cons of the various cargo bikes available would be just one example of a topic ideally suited to Utility and Leisure.

Top Bottom