What pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dmc

I am going to be buying my first road bike shortly, probably a Giant SCR 2.
Not sure what pedals/ shoes to use. I will be using the bike for fitness and maybe move into triathlons later...
I have never used a bike with proper clip in bike shoes. i will mostly be riding around the countryside, once i get out of the town where i live.
The bloke on my LBS showed me loads of different kinds, confused me a bit though!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Get Shimano SPD-SL pedals. I had Look Keo's before and they broke. The pedals come in different sets, i have the 105 version, these here and the quality of them is better then the Keo's. They havent broken yet either, i had 2 sets of Keos and they both broke with the same fault.
You can ride with normal shoes on them, but you will find your shoe goes at a strange angle, but if your just doing a quick nip to the shops they are fine.
Shoe wise, i have some cheap ones from Decathlon because my feet are still/could grow so didnt want to spend much on them. But, what i would do is go to a good LBS and try on the shoes. Find which ones fit you better, which ones you like the look of more and go for them.

jashburnham

There are loads...
Look
Time
Speedplay
Shimano SPD-L
Campagnolo
Crank Bros

etc etc. Personally I prefer Speedplay Zeros - they aren't spring tensioned so allow your feet to move laterally on the pedal (this is known as float) my knees are weird so this suits me fine. Everyone has their preference but your LBS should be able to advise on the differences.

OP
OP
D

Dmc

Thanks guys. What i was rally looking for was what kind of styles..... even though i am getting a road bike the guy in the shop was showing me MTB pedals, double side pedals, egg beaters, road pedals..... really confused me.

jashburnham

MTB shoes and pedals on a roadbike are worthwhile if you are commuting and going to be walking around in the shoes a lot - mtb cleats are recessed. Otherwise get road shoes and pedals, generally road shoes are much stiffer (and usually lighter) and the pedals provide a larger platform - both improve power transfer/efficiency.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
August Cycling + mag has a big pedal test - that's a big test of pedals, not a test ... ;)

[very quietly] and you could always go here but don't tell ....

Top Bottom