What "positives" do you get from cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling seems to keep me fairly trim as at 43 and three quarters, I weigh the same as I did 15 years ago.
No faffing about looking for a parking space and whizzing through traffic gridlock is just superb.
I can (within reason!) cycle back from the pub or parties without hassle from the Rozzers. Hic!
I love noticing the things you may otherwise miss. The wildfowers in verges at the moment for example and of course all the birdsong.
Losing myself out on the Fen on farm tracks and bridleways, especially at night with a big old moon (and no lights or high viz- don't tell the folks in Commuting!) and my favourite glowing chums to look out for on summer nights!

Arch

Married to Night Train
A great view of Arch's behind: There's a reason I am happy for her to lead.

:blush:

That, and if you led I'd never keep up!

By deciding to commute on the bike all week taking advantage of the glorious summer weather rather than bus or drive it, I have saved enough money to cover the cost of the new camera monopod I bought on Amazon last week and which should arrive in time for the weekend. Will add a certain 'hoorah' to the opening of the package!

Strick

Lots of little things really.
Firstly was to save a bit of money on diesel and get a bit of exercise.
Since getting into it I find I enjoy it more than expected. I like the little bit of "me" time. On the commute, it helps me wake up on the way in, and unwind on the way home. I notice things more than I would in the car. Just simple things in life, birds, squirrels, rabbits and so on.
Probably a few other things, but as I drove in today (dental appointment later) I'm not awake enough to process it all yet.

firstly, there is the feeling of feeling fitter, enjoying the buzz of excercise. there is also the 'me' time whether i am cycling solo or with a couple of mates and stopping for the obligatory cafe break, Bacon and Tomatoes on toast always taste a little better after 25-30 miles.

i also love riding along with my daughters, both of which i tought to ride by running furiously behind them until they were up to speed then letting go, i still grin when i think of their faces when they eventually stopped and realised how far they had riden on their own.

the main thing for me at the moment though, is noticing how all the little villages and towns are interconnected by the lanes, and realising that the places i thought were a long way away are really just 15-20 minutes ride away. it reminds me of a passage in a book i read that said that the relatively cheap bikes and cycling at last allowed the menfolk from a village to meet and mingle with the women folk from other villages! Still makes me smile now :laugh: if there is a better reason to own a bike than to meet womenfolk from other villages, someone let me in on it.

and of course, wearing ludicrously tight clothing in public and not getting arrested.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Where to start?
It keeps me sane, it's earned me some money and it lets me see some great scenery.
However down I might feel, riding my bike helps. You can't feel anything but exhilerated freewheeling down a hill.

sdr gb

Falling apart
Getting out in the fresh air.
Going to new places and seeing things I'd never had seen if I hadn't taken up cycling.
Meeting new people with the same interest.
Having a decent level of fitness.

Top Bottom