what pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

Is a good all rounder for MTB tyres , I've currently got them at 60 psi if I remember rightly and I do t remember where I read this was good but I did somewhere . Now though I'm reading that they should have a bit of give in them and mine are rock solid , I'm not doing all the DH stuff so I'm not avoiding rocks and tree stump ( well maybe now and then ) , but on my recent ride I had a loss of traction on certain inclines and I lost it slightly in mudier areas . I can accept that some of this is down to newbitis , but also probably to incorrect pressures too so would appreciate any advice on tyre pressures to terrain knowledge if that sounds right .
MODS if this has been done please delete , but I couldn't find nowt

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
check on the side wall of the tyre, it should list the recommended tyre pressures on there ...try dropping them by 10 psi to 50 psi and see how that feels

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've got mine at 60 psi, the max for my tyres is 65.
I'm a heavier rider and in the current weather I don't come across a lot of mud.
They seem to cope well with gravel/puddles/rocks and run lovely on the cycle paths I use, but of course every tyre is different.
I'd run them 10psi less, as NormanD suggested, and see how you go.
It's easy enough to alter them to suit the conditions :smile:

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi I also run mine at 60 psi but i do carry shopping at times and I have found that off road a drop to around 40/45 psi (Michelin's all terrains fitted) I find this much beter grip etc. but I would not go much below this as snake bite you know whats can happen.

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on where your riding but best traction and handling will be pressures around 35-40psi. At 60 psi the tryes will roll well but tend to skip about rougher terrain and slide more on cornering.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Better off road traction at lower pressures. @Jody hits the nail on the head if you are a heavier rider on rocky stuff. If you aren't likely to hit square edges you could even try 30f 35r

Again, a shout up for tubeless. I run my tubeless Nobby Nics at 20 and 25.

Shadowfax

Im running 25 psi on tubeless S-Works Renagade rear and 20 psi on S-Works Fast Tracks front
Wonder where you got that from ?

Chuckle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Im running 25 psi on tubeless S-Works Renagade rear and 20 psi on S-Works Fast Tracks front
I could never run my tyres at such a low pressure for two reasons (well 3 actually).
  1. At 20 psi a front tyre would be squirming around terribly and the handling would be awful. In fact, for any slow speed technical stuff I suffer with the tyre tucking under and collapsing at that pressure.
  2. Pinch punctures
  3. I want to keep my rims round. It's not just pinch punctures that would be a problem, but the rims would be so battered that I reckon they would be scrap within just a few enthusiastic rides.
I weigh around 14st and run my 26x2.1 tyres at between 45-50psi front and back, usually closer to 50psi. If the pressures are below 45 psi I am almost guaranteed a pinch puncture within 3-4 rides and that spoils the fun. With my weight, at those pressures and with good Fr/Rr weight distribution the tyres work just well enough for me to climb pretty much anything I can physically pedal up and I avoid the pinch punctures when battering down the other side.

My vote is for 45-50 psi for most people.

GilesM

Legendary Member
If I'm riding on the road, then the max the tyres are recommended to, however, once off road, set the pressure much lower, usually about 35psi seems to be good for my 2.4s on my Orange five, and usually the same for my hardtail (2.0), although I may drop the back a wee bit more as the hardtail can behave like a pogo stick on quick'ish rocky descents, I only weigh about 10 1/2 st, but 60psi is far to high for anything like a root or a rock.

e-rider

crappy member
Is a good all rounder for MTB tyres , I've currently got them at 60 psi if I remember rightly and I do t remember where I read this was good but I did somewhere . Now though I'm reading that they should have a bit of give in them and mine are rock solid , I'm not doing all the DH stuff so I'm not avoiding rocks and tree stump ( well maybe now and then ) , but on my recent ride I had a loss of traction on certain inclines and I lost it slightly in mudier areas . I can accept that some of this is down to newbitis , but also probably to incorrect pressures too so would appreciate any advice on tyre pressures to terrain knowledge if that sounds right .
MODS if this has been done please delete , but I couldn't find nowt
if you want 'one pressure fits all' then it's got to be 55 psi

However, as a simple rule, I do 60 psi for road, 50 psi off road, and 45 psi in wet mud

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Depends on rider weight - I suspect there is considerably less of Mr H than me, or Skol.

I'm 15stone, so I tend to run at 45ish front and rear, for general off-road stuff - any less and pinch punctures are distinctly likely.

Top Bottom