What qualifications do I need to become a librarian?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went for a 'working with a disability' assessment today. The woman doing the interview was very nice and seemed surprised I'd been sent by the Job Centre, seeing as I already have a part-time job in a retro clothes shop. She said that due to my disabilities full-time work would be hard to do and hard to find. She asked me what I'd like to do. I told her I wouldn't mind being a librarian, or librarian assistant. I have a grade B, O-Level achieved in 1977, along with 3 other O-Levels. and a HND level 2 achieved in 1996, in Leisure Management. She said she'd look into it, but thinks I might need a degree, or a HND In English and maybe maths at least. Do any of you know what I'll need and if so What are my chances of getting a job in Great Harwood or Accrtington library?🤔

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I went for a 'working with a disability' assessment today. The woman doing the interview was very nice and seemed surprised I'd been sent by the Job Centre, seeing as I already have a part-time job in a retro clothes shop. She said that due to my disabilities full-time work would be hard to do and hard to find. She asked me what I'd like to do. I told her I wouldn't mind being a librarian, or librarian assistant. I have a grade B, O-Level achieved in 1977, along with 3 other O-Levels. and a HND level 2 achieved in 1996, in Leisure Management. She said she'd look into it, but thinks I might need a degree, or a HND In English and maybe maths at least. Do any of you know what I'll need and if so What are my chances of getting a job in Great Harwood or Accrtington library?🤔

'She said she'd look into it..'

Alex321

Veteran
Yeah I know, but maybe some CCers know librarians, or are librarians. I'm not seeing her again for another month and I'd like to know asap, not in a month.:okay:

One of the other members of my Morris dancing side is a librarian, but I won't be seeing him until a week on Thursday. We normally meet every Thursday, but are having a week off this week, after spending 4 days dancing at Green Man festival.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
One of the other members of my Morris dancing side is a librarian, but I won't be seeing him until a week on Thursday. We normally meet every Thursday, but are having a week off this week, after spending 4 days dancing at Green Man festival.

Randomly, I didn't know that they were 'sides'. Any idea why, is it to do with the typical dance configuration perhaps?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Why don't you go into the libraries and ask there?

A friend of mine is doing shifts as an assistant at different Calderdale libraries. I will ask her what the requirements were.

classic33

Leg End Member
The unwritten requirements include dealing with bizarre requests from "customers", the ability to be able to think on your feet and be able to work in more than one location. Sometimes within the same building.

You could start as a volunteer, then try for a paid position. Using the fact that you learned parts of the job as a volunteer in your favour.
More and more the system is computerised, so a working knowledge would be worthwhile. Individual systems within the library system you'll be introduced to as and when required.

Top Bottom