What sex is Gok?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I know of these programs but I never watch any of them. Years ago people were made famous for climbing mountains or fighting bears. Now you just need to be an ar** :0(

Smeggers said:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oops. Think I'll leave it for comedy effect! :blush:

'w' and 'h' aren't close enough on the keyboard for it to be a typo!
Methinks it was a Freudian slip! ;)

Smeggers

Dayvo said:
'w' and 'h' aren't close enough on the keyboard for it to be a typo!
Methinks it was a Freudian slip! ;)
:biggrin:

You noticed how many people are at pains to tell us they DONT watch these programs? Very suspicious. I must remember to post on every single thread that I dont have an opinon etc?! :blush:

Reminds me of the scene in planes, trains and automobiles. gruff voice "did you see the Bears game last night".....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
There's a marvellous phrase in Roger's Profanisaurus, "McKeith's Handbag". I must look it up when I get home and post the definition. It's got something to do with her unhealthy obsession with getting up close and personal with tupperware tubs containing fresh helpings of Douglas....

Gok is great !

He takes women who are really convinced that they're fat/ugly/grotesque to the degree that it's badly affecting their lives - some daren't go out, others don't get on at work, can't form relationships, etc.

Basically it's a lack of confidence and self-esteem, but he works on them throughout the program, encouraging, challenging, pushing and at the end they're doing things they'd never have dreamed of, like walking semi-naked down at catwalk in front of a crowd.

All he materially does is get them into different clothes and get them a hairstyling and make-up session - it's not like that appalling Ten Years Younger program where that awful girl with the dreadful specs gets them to have plastic surgery and dental treatment.

Instead, it's just his continuous enthusiasm, encouragement, cajoling - he really challenges these women but in a way which is friendly and supporting, but never falling-over into bullying

It's sometimes breathtaking how he never oversteps the line and breaks their confidence rather than building it up.
Doubtless the fact that he's gay, camp as anything, allows him to get away with saying things than no straight man or a woman could.

Looking at him in the role of 'life coach', he's fascinating to watch
- he'd make a killer sports psychologist.

McKeith on the other hand belittles and insults the people on her program. People who go on it will indeed 'do anything to get on telly'

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
You noticed how many people are at pains to tell us they DONT watch these programs? Very suspicious.

Ok, to be honest: I have watched Gok, and I have occasionally watched some of the other ones - What not to wear, You are what you shoot* and all that. They are in my 2nd division of programmes. Not what I'd choose to watch first, but not dull/awful enough to watch something else/switch off, if there's nothing better on... Football, in fact most sport, and stuff like Big Brother/Wife Swap/talent shows etc are in the bottom league - I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, or if I'm feeling more sensible, just switch off...

* Joke shamelessly borrowed from Dara O'Brien on Room 101 the other night.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Or perhaps Wan Kerr :biggrin:

From andy_wrx: He takes women who are really convinced that they're fat/ugly/grotesque to the degree that it's badly affecting their lives - some daren't go out, others don't get on at work, can't form relationships, etc.

Yeah, but what happens when the nice clothes need a wash, and the hair has just been slept in, and they realise they are still the same as they always were... don't get me wrong, I'd rather help anyone to be positive about themselves than negative, but I'm not sure clothes and haircusts are the way to go... I mean, I feel good after a haircut, but only till the next letter from the bank, or crappy email from the boss... stuff still has to be dealt with, and a new handbag doesn't keep the boss off your back, or give you better health prospects, etc....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Good point Fnaar, but I think the thing is that for some of these people, it's the first time in years that they've been made to think positively about themselves, so it's more than just a new handbag or haircut...

Maz

Guru
andy_wrx said:
...it's not like that appalling Ten Years Younger program where that awful girl with the dreadful specs gets them to have plastic surgery and dental treatment...
Yeh, that Nicky Doublebarrel-shotgun girl - Look 10 Years Younger? No problem there! You just need a few grand and go under the knife.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm with Andy - Gok is amazing. I will shamelessly admit I love makeover programmes (apart from 10 years younger, having a moral aversion to plastic surgery) and cry at every last 'reveal' scene but Gok is by far the nicest of them all. I love how he restores people's self-respect and makes them see what's beautiful in them instead of what's not.

No more slagging off of Gok please!! He rocks.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Cathryn said:
I'm with Andy - Gok is amazing. I will shamelessly admit I love makeover programmes (apart from 10 years younger, having a moral aversion to plastic surgery) and cry at every last 'reveal' scene but Gok is by far the nicest of them all. I love how he restores people's self-respect and makes them see what's beautiful in them instead of what's not.

No more slagging off of Gok please!! He rocks.
should we change the title to Gok is sex, what?
:blush:

Top Bottom