Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Venison

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Duck

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Goose

Votes: 16 32.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Thread put on ignore until December 1st :reading:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It'll be just the two of us and the dog, in a converted chapel in a graveyard
Gosh, you make it sound so festive.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What about Chateaubriand? No need to stick to the formulaic roast meat, potatoes, veg and gravy. Or how about Beef Wellington?

I wonder what all those people complaining about Halloween will be having for Christmas dinner. Presumably they won't be having turkey, it being an imported American tradition.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well it will be Lamb and a turkey crown for us and a boiled ham.
I love lamb and mint sauce.

Beef is more likely to be tough and disappointing..as my dear wife over cooks beef.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I voted Goose, as I have never had it. Beef would be the most reliable IMO, provided it's been hung properly (i.e. not supermarket meat) it should come out very well. I've tried having Duck and other small birds for Christmas but was let down by either the amount of meat I got on it, or the fact that I didn't cook it well enough and it was tough. I am a fan of slow-cooked fatty meats, so if you have the option to put it on slow in the early morning, you'd have the rendered fat for your potatoes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mr R and I are going away for Christmas. It'll be just the two of us and the dog, in a converted chapel in a graveyard in the Peak District.

We've decided to cater for ourselves but want something other than turkey, which neither of us are particularly keen on. The plan is to buy most things ready prepped from the local farm shop or Waitrose, so that we can spend time relaxing and drinking...

What meat should we go for (and no, we don't want vegetarian options before anyone suggests it)? We don't tend to eat a lot of roasts and we don't mind spending money on a really nice bit of meat as a treat.

I quite like venison but Mr R isn't overly keen (although he'll eat it if someone else is cooking it). We both like lamb and beef. We both like duck and goose as well - although we'd probably look at getting a crown rather than a whole bird, as we're not sure how big the oven is and I can't be arsed with prepping it.

What says the CC Massive?
Gammon, slow roast with a Honey and Mustard glaze. Served with a tray of Herb/Garlic/Olive oil roasted root veggies and some Sprouts par-boiled then fried off with Chestnuts and Shallots. :hungry:

Top Bottom