what shoe for my SS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

Right here's the bike not full blown road/track geometry more audax.

singlespeed005.jpg

Here's the pedals double use so I can ride in normal shoes when required.

shimano_a530_black.jpg

No I live in the Lakes so there are some hills that me and the 48/18 gearing arn't going to cope with so recessed cleat for walking is a must.

So do I go for a touring shoe like this?
shimano-rt32-touring-shoe.jpg

Or a MTB shoe like this?

shimano-m064-mountain-bike-shoe.jpg

Or a commuter style shoe like this (least fav option)?

MT23;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg

park1

I have some of the touring style shims for the work commute and they are great as they look like a proper road shoe, but are much more practical and allow use of easier double sided pedals. whilst better than a road shoe for walking, they are not brilliant as they have very little flex. If the walk bits are 500m or less then no problem with the touring shoe. If you are going out for a full day id seriously consider the model up from the one shown as it has a stiffer sole under the front of the foot which will spread the pressure more than the rubber in the cheaper ones, making them more comfortable. Dan

edindave

Über Member
I like the combo of Shimano MT42 shoes and M540 pedals.
The shoes are good for walking around in, and they don't slide about and off the pedals when trying to clip in like hard plastic road type shoes.

I rode on flat pedals for a while but it felt very insecure, to the point of treacherous, especially in the wet or while descending. Am so glad I put the SPDs on and won't be looking back. :biggrin:

P.S. very nice bike you have there!

EDIT: Sorry just realised you are running it SS, so my comments about being treacherous don't really apply as I was thinking about fixed gear.

Dan_h

Personally I use MTB shoes with mine, I assume that I am going to have to walk on steep sections and the grip is good in bad weather.

Top Bottom