What should I be paying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pmac32

New to biking and been offered a 2016 Specialized Venge Vias Pro. I’ve seen the bike and it’s very good condition with the usual wear you’d expect on a bike which has been used on sunny days etc.
I’ve been offered it at £3250, does this seem sensible money?
Thanks in advance.

Sharky

Guru
If you are truly new to biking, that seems a lot to pay for a starter bike. It's a very specialized bike and may not be what you want once you get a few miles under your belt. There are so may different variations of bikes nowadays (Gravel, Touring, MTB, Commuting etc) and this one might not be the one for you. I'm sure you can get a bike for around £500 that will be good enough to learn the ropes and then you will know where you are heading.

For a 4 year old bike, the offer price is still more than half the value of a new one, so I think it is a little on the high side. But it is a nice bike if you can afford it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This bike is an out and out racing machine. Whilst it is a great bike, is it really what you need ? Think about what kind of cycling you are going to be doing. Pure race bikes can be harsh and a little unforgiving in the ride, and the gearing on it may be on the high side so you may need legs like Sir Braders of Wiggins to power the thing up hills.
If it is your thing though, the price is not bad.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends on what you want, but I'd be very unhappy about putting £3k down on a 2nd hand bike, even if it is a Specialized Venge, you can get a very nice 2020/2021 road bike for that sort of money, with a current groupset and up to date wheels and components.

But most importantly, you need to make sure it fits you properly, make sure the seat post can be adjusted to suit you, make sure you're not overstretching to reach the handlebars, and make sure it's safe.

Last edited:
Forgot to add, there was a recall on the frame, make sure it was sorted.

DRM

Guru
It does seem very much OTT as a first bike, it is very much a race bike with an aggressive position, I personally think a much cheaper bike would be a better option to see how you get on with cycling

OP
OP
P

Pmac32

Thanks for the replies.
I’m not totally new to biking, just road bikes.
Always ridden mountain bikes and I did purchase a used Specialized Allez about five years ago which has stood unused in the garage.
During my time away from work due to the Covid situation I decided to get out on it and it’s become my favourite form of exercise.
I had thought I’d purchase a new Giant Propel Advanced 1 disc which is the same money as the used Specialized, my head tells me the Giant will be the better buy being newer, but I keep looking at the Specialized.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies.
I’m not totally new to biking, just road bikes.
Always ridden mountain bikes and I did purchase a used Specialized Allez about five years ago which has stood unused in the garage.
During my time away from work due to the Covid situation I decided to get out on it and it’s become my favourite form of exercise.
I had thought I’d purchase a new Giant Propel Advanced 1 disc which is the same money as the used Specialized, my head tells me the Giant will be the better buy being newer, but I keep looking at the Specialized.

if it's any help I keep looking at the current 2020/2021 giant TCR range :surrender:

DRM

Guru
If the Allez frame is in good condition you Could consider upgrading it to a good spec and get a really special bike that’s unique with a bit of bling

Top Bottom