What should I check?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I hit a pothole quite hard today, so hard that my bike computer flew out of its bracket. (Don't worry, I got it back!)
I was wondering if the bump damaged anything, the tyre, wheel and spokes all seem fine, but I was wondering if there is anything else which I should check?

Cheers :biggrin:

on the road

Über Member
Did you get a flat tyre? If not then you should be fine.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Hitting a pothole might give you a pinch flat or damage a wheel, unlikely to cause damage to any other parts if you stayed upright.

iLB

Hello there
Sam Kennedy said:
I was cycling in a group, there were 3 people infront of me, unless I had x-ray vision I couldn't have seen it xx(

they should be yelling 'hole' and or pointing if they have any idea about cycling in a group...

iLB

Hello there
Sam Kennedy said:
They normally do, we were just going so fast they didn't have time.

even if this is the case, the guy on the front should steer around it and everyone else should be following his wheel, no?

GrasB

Veteran
ilovebikes said:
even if this is the case, the guy on the front should steer around it and everyone else should be following his wheel, no?
Better not follow me then, I bunny hop/float the critters... in the dark... at 25mph... without dropping cadence.

As to the OP, check the wheel is still round & play in the bearings. In all honesty though hubs are a fair bit more robust than people give them credit for, it's the rims I worry about.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Sam Kennedy said:
They normally do, we were just going so fast they didn't have time.

More of a reason to call them then.
Going fast has no excuse, the pot hole isnt moving towards you, you would be able to see it.
They should have at least pointed to the floor, or moved around it, so you could follow.
Seems more like the people ahead were looking at the person infronts back wheel, and not for hand signs.

Top Bottom