What Size frame do I need? (road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
A little OT I know but talking about Quill Stems OMG
Image:Quill_stem_4.JPG
I'll never look at my bike in the same way again.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
OK I know this is a little OT but OMG I thought my bike was tatty
800px-Quill_stem_4.JPG

I'll never like at in the same way again ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I always remember buying some new handlebars for my roadbike. I saved for ages to buy them. Lovely and black, with some pretty logos....

By the time i had slid them through the quill stem, i wanted some new ones to replace the scratched scored bars i had just fitted.
Nothing specifically wrong with quill stems, but I wouldn't want to use any stem that wasn't front loading.

as for quill vs headset. I need 1 allen key to adjust and grease my headset. takes minutes.
Quill stem needs, 1 allen key, two spanners, and the patience of a saint to get the headset just tight enough without it binding. and then gettting the bars the right height again.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
i measured the frame on my old bike, 63 cm from seat post to center of pedal. 501 double butted frame.

i have the seat so low because any higher I can't touch the ground ha, so it's definitely too big for me I think.

I don't mind the down tube shifters but as mentioned when you need to change quickly in traffic it gets fiddly. there are several roundabouts on my route so it happens a lot.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For £15 you shouldn't be. Take the tyres up to 120psi back and 100 front and see how you go.

Then - I'd suggest - spend a little time learning how to use ebay (checkout the options in 'advanced search', and also learn how to 'save search', eg) then bide your time. Checkout any likely looking candidates using google. You can get real gems for around the ton if you're prepared to be patient. Good luck!

Top Bottom