What size is THIS component?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
As mentioned in a thread elsewhere I'm starting a new cycling brand selling Titanium bicycle parts. As a part of the launch (and before I spend a small fortune on machining) I starting running a survey to ask what parts people want. I'm flippin' glad I did because it turns out people don't want the bits I thought they did! So this leaves me with a challenge - I need to get correct sizes for the parts people have requested so I can get them manufactured. The problem is that I only have a few bikes (not enough, of course) so there are some bits I can't draw up a specification for.

So rather than clog up the whole 'components' part of the forum I thought I'd keep my requests for help to this thread.

If you would like to fill in the (very short) survey, and get a discount code for when the shop opens, please visit www.ticat.shop

Done

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I have had a lot of requests for Titanium headset / stem spacers.

Are most stem spacers the same diameter? From what I gather they are not, with most stems being either 1”,1 1/8” or 1.5”. I have to list / get things machined in metric so that's 25.4mm, 28.57mm and 38.1mm

I can't get loads of different heights (widths) made because this is a brand new brand, so I was thinking of getting maybe 5mm spacers made and selling them in multiples. What do you think of that idea?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Done. And 5mm spacers are OK - consider 2mm / 10mm though in smaller batches.
A 2mm would be useful - obviously you can stack 5mm to get 10mm (or more) but an increment smaller than 5mm would be useful (I recently had to get hold of a 2mm to make a neat stack on one of my bikes). Bigger rings can look neater (although I don't mind a stack of 5mm spacers, so long as any logos are the same and aligned :whistle:.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
5cm = 50mm. Are you sure?

No point in titanium spacers, though. Aluminium is lighter and has no disadvantages in this application.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
5cm = 50mm. Are you sure?

No point in titanium spacers, though. Aluminium is lighter and has no disadvantages in this application.

Edited :okay:

There is a point in Ti spacers. In that, It's Ti :becool:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ti is good for replacing steel bolts, but it needs to be 6Al4V (the stronger of the two common Ti alloys) and properly made. Some of these bolts are safety-critical, like stem bolts.

On an older bike with a quill stem, the expander bolt is a bit of a weight hog, for example. Ti is ok for this application. Braver people than I used aluminium expander bolts in the 1980s!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I need to get an idea of the internal and external diameters, do any of you guys have a handy vernier calliper and some spacers that aren't actually on your bikes at the moment :smile:

I need to get some technical drawings made ASAP. I would just buy some standard spacers but I need to get a feel for what the most common diameters are.

Top Bottom