New chain - is this acceptable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bought a new "KMC" 8sp chain from ebay for a favourable price.

Seller claims its genuine, while the chain and packaging appear legit relative to the source material I can find on line.

It passes the chain checker test.

However... there are large gaps between parts across many of the pins - most noticeable when this gap is between inner and outer plates.

New chain on LHS, 600-mile old SRAM item from Brompton on the right:

12x8_IMG_8169a.jpg

A 0.45mm feeler gauge between inner and outer plates:

12x8_IMG_8170a.jpg

Pin length appears to spec at around 7.2 - 7.3mm, from one sample outer plates around 1.05mm thick, inners 1.10mm. Roller (as measured by squeezing inner plates together and measuring between) is around 2.34mm.. so appears OK considering it should be 3/32" or 2.38mm.

IIRC the 8sp SRAM item currently on the bike has maybe 0.25mm play across (seemingly fewer) pins, while the 9sp KMC item on my Fuji, and 11sp KMC chain on the Genesis visually have barely any play in these areas.

I appreciate that as the number of speeds grows the chain gets thinner and apparently tolerances tighter.

With all that in mind, is my new KMC 8sp chain acceptable? Looks a bit sketchy to me..

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Lots of fakes on eBay and Amazon; so many that I won't buy chains or cleats from either.

Looks like a fake imo. Gaps too wide, chamfering missing, not the same finish as original.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Lots of fakes on eBay and Amazon; so many that I won't buy chains or cleats from either.

Looks like a fake imo. Gaps too wide, chamfering missing, not the same finish as original.

Thanks - I appreciate that there will always be a risk of getting a knock-off from ebay etc rather than a shop.

Gaps are certainly suspect, however I think the chamfering on the outside of the plates is only present on those for more speeds (my 9sp doesn't have them and came from a reputable source) while the difference in finish is moot because the original chain is a SRAM :smile:

While I'm not sure about it being a fake, I did wonder if it could have been a factory 2nd..

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How much was it?Just return it and say you want a refund because its not up to standard. He will accept it back no bother.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Sorry, looks fake to me. I fell for a "cheap Shimano" chain from fleabay last year, when I saw a video on You Tube about how to tell them apart and how naff they performed, I just threw it straight in the bin.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks folks :smile:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hard-to-get-parts.282382/#post-6628246

I got hit with substandard KMC chains in 2021 when the covid shortages were at the peak. Two chains certainly looked legit, even to my cynical eye but wore out in a fraction of the normal time. I now only buy via reputable sellers such as Spa Cycles.
Cheers - that makes a lot of sense and tbh they still don't seem to be as abundant as they were pre-Covid.

How much was it?Just return it and say you want a refund because its not up to standard. He will accept it back no bother.
It's a bit convoluted, but it was £15 for this X8; while apparently comparable E8s are about 50% more at maybe £23ish.

I'm not sure how much of a fair comparison that its as the E8 appears the same but with improved tolerancing to make it hardier for ebikes. The KMC site still lists both, but in many places in the UK the X8 is listed as doscontinued; making me think that they're being replaced wholesale by the E8..

I did wonder if this was old stock and hence cheaper.. of course I could just dispute it and send it back, but could do without the faff.

I've sent the seller a PM and will see what happens.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Further, the seller has got back to me with nothing more constructive than "it's a KMC chain, you can see it on their website" which hardly fills me with hope. I've emailed KMC with pics and will chase the seller as necessary once they've got back to me (assuming they do).

Sod's law Halfords now have the E8 EPT chain back in stock; which I was originally going to buy with my work sh*tmas bonus.. think I might just get one of these in the bank anyway if I can figure out how to pay with the confounded vouchers..

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If you return it then the seller on Ebay usually pays the postage if its "not as described". To me it looks like a second I agree and the last thing you want is it to snap when you are miles away from home. I've had that happen to me and I had a very long walk home.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sod's law Halfords now have the E8 EPT chain back in stock; which I was originally going to buy with my work sh*tmas bonus.. think I might just get one of these in the bank anyway if I can figure out how to pay with the confounded vouchers..
Is it a Halfords gift card? If so you just add code and PIN on payment page

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Your Kmc lettering looks like a bridge job

View attachment 704763
Not sure what you're getting at...?

If you return it then the seller on Ebay usually pays the postage if its "not as described". To me it looks like a second I agree and the last thing you want is it to snap when you are miles away from home. I've had that happen to me and I had a very long walk home.
Thanks; I know I could probably return it and get my money back, but if it's useable I'd rather not as it's a pain and would still need me to source a replacement elsewhere.

Seller's comms remain unconvincing; will see what KMC say assuming they can be arsed to reply. Failing that I guess I'll have to make an executive decision!

Is it a Halfords gift card? If so you just add code and PIN on payment page
Thanks and allegedly yes; however having eventually battled through to the generic gift card's online account, it specifically states that the Halfords vouchers can be used in store only... which is crap :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The seller may have bought a bulk lot, and may not even realise they are fake, but those gaps aren't right. Just do an ebay returns and forget about it as they side on the buyer.

Top Bottom