What size parts to buy in order to salvage fram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niekon2600

Hi guys, I have a scott solace 30 2015 frame thats in great condition but it needs a for (original got destroyed) and it needs wheels. As much as iv tried i have no idea what are the specs on those items. I took it to a shop but no luck. I also tried googling the a pecs but again nothing.
Im not interested in buying original parts because that would be too expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😊

Sharky

Guru
For?
Do you mean forks?

Have you got any other bits? If buying new, the sum of the parts is going to run the cost of a full bike pretty close.

OP
OP
N

Niekon2600

Yes sorry I ment fork. I have everything except the fork and wheels/tires. I know its going to cost me a couple of hundred but if I spent $300-$400 to get a $1500 bike back on the road then I'm willing to consider it. I'm still in research phase though.

si_c

Guru
You'll need a 1 1/8" straight through fork for a 700c wheel, probably with a rake of about 45mm, the price for these in the UK seems around the £200 mark new, it might take a while to find one to match your colourscheme, although black is a fairly neutral option. Also make sure you measure the length of your steerer tube and get something of at least this length, no point buying one and finding you can't put a stem on it as it's too short.

Sharky

Guru
Have a look at planet x. They have some for £29.99!!

I picked a pair several years ago for £25 and has had regular use and still going strong.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
In all honesty the cheapest solution would probably be to buy a complete secondhand bike in better condition, rather than buying replacements for missing/damaged parts piecemeal. I would price up what I needed and compare it to just buying a complete used example then mixing and matching the best parts out of the two machines.

OP
OP
N

Niekon2600

The specification's quite easy to find: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Solace-30-2015-Road-Bike_73265.htm

It'll take standard rim brake road wheels.

If you're after the fork I'd suggest a search on eBay or similar - as you're in the US Craigslist/PinkBike would help. It may take a while though.
The specification's quite easy to find: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Solace-30-2015-Road-Bike_73265.htm

It'll take standard rim brake road wheels.

If you're after the fork I'd suggest a search on eBay or similar - as you're in the US Craigslist/PinkBike would help. It may take a while though.
Thanks a million man. Iv gotten more information out of here then then 2 forum post, 6 phone calls and a visit to a bike shop with frame in hand combined.

I found a solace hmf 1 1/8 fork on pinkbike. Thats the same exact fork thats comes with my bike. But the poster said that the fork came off a small sized frame while my frame is a large. Does that matter? And again thanks so much to all of you guys for replying 😁😁

I

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks a million man. Iv gotten more information out of here then then 2 forum post, 6 phone calls and a visit to a bike shop with frame in hand combined.

I found a solace hmf 1 1/8 fork on pinkbike. Thats the same exact fork thats comes with my bike. But the poster said that the fork came off a small sized frame while my frame is a large. Does that matter? And again thanks so much to all of you guys for replying 😁😁

That should be fine. Pinkbike seems to be a good source of parts in the US. Whilst I'm in the UK I sourced a spare pair of forks for my son's race bike from there.

Hope the build goes well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SJS Cycles are good for forks - OK it will be black but you'll be able to get some no problem. Do you have a headset (bearings) that the forks turn on, add that to the equation. Wheels will be around £150 for a half decent set.

Sharky

Guru

I
Only thought - if the forks have come off a smaller frame, has the steerer been cut down and is there enough length in the steerer to allow for the number of spacers that you will need to get the correct height?

Reactions: gbb

Ajax Bay

Guru
I found a solace hmf 1 1/8 fork on pinkbike. Thats the same exact fork thats comes with my bike. But the poster said that the fork came off a small sized frame while my frame is a large. Does that matter?
As others have said , it might. It'll be no good if it's not long enough (which is probable). If you haven't got the broken fork any more, measure the distance of your headtube. And as @fossyant says, if you haven't got all the elements of the headset you'll need a new one (though maybe not a $200 extravagance). That headset will have a stack height which you need to add to the headtube length to determine the shortest steerer tube which will 'fit'.
Ask the seller how long the steerer is from the crown to the top.

Top Bottom